HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

gearstick
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteymate
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: gearstick Reply with quote

Im just wondering how do u shorten the gear stick shifter?
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: gearstick Reply with quote

with an angle grinder.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: gearstick Reply with quote

or a hacksaw
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: gearstick Reply with quote

Cut then rejoin it with the mig, or cut it and use a tap n die(spelling) to tap another thread.
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: gearstick Reply with quote

i hit mine with the hacksaw, grabbed a plastic cap from the inside of my old gearknob (it was a piston shape-hehehehe), stuck that over the top of the shifter, put the new gearknob on and tightened the little screw thing VERY tight! it doesnt move cos of the plastic cap; be warned though, its a prick to change on cold mornings.cheers.
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: gearstick Reply with quote

nah its not, all you do is throw the clutch in and shift the gearstick into the selected gear and ease the clutch out, this process doesnt change just because its cold.
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: gearstick Reply with quote

Lengthen your arm, haha. Sorry Sad
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: gearstick Reply with quote

are those piston gear nobs uncomfortable. they look like they would piss you off after a while
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: gearstick Reply with quote

1)ok mr gemi, it must be an rb gem, vb comm. and a pulsar thing, but ive found that manual gearboxes are harder to shift from gear to gear when they are cold, especially with a shorter gearknob, but that could just be me.

2)yeah mate, i was leaning over to chuck some rubbish in a bin through the passengers side window and my jeans got caught on the bottom edge of the piston knob so i had a very 80's looking pair of jeans!needless to say the gearknob was in the bin not long after- yeah they make it harder to change quick cos of their size.cheers
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: gearstick Reply with quote

my vehicle shifts fine, there was a bit of difficulty when i got my worked donk put in, due to the new load put on the box but its bedded in necely now and i have had no further trouble.
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: gearstick Reply with quote

I think it does make a difference. In the morning the box on my twincam is a pretty hard to change for the first few times until its warm.

I believe it has something to do with the oil in the box or synchros being cold and therefore more viscous. Once it heats up the oil thins out a bit.

Thats my theory anyway. Probably don't have as much problem on a stock gemini box.. I never did anyway. Just on my car now.
Getafix
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: gearstick Reply with quote

shrug, not a gemi, but i got a manual VN commodore.. first couple of shifts (mainly down, up isnt bad) are a bit stiff, nothing at all bad, but nothicable compared with driving for 20 mins or so.

-dave
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: gearstick Reply with quote

Piston knobs are fuckin shit
TX III
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: gearstick Reply with quote

its common knowledge that when cold gears are harder to shift, number 1 the box isnt lubed (no pun intended), it'll get easier to shift once the oil has warmed up and been around a bit....

Matt
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: gearstick Reply with quote

yeah thanks dad! it was the first thing i ever did to it- i coulda put on an orange exhaust tip or a turbosmart sticker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: