HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

What do I need 4 a Turbo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TUFF_TE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: What do I need 4 a Turbo? Reply with quote

I am interested in getting a turbo for my 1600 and am not quite sure about what i need for the job.
I have a few grease monkey mates who can do the work so that wont be a problem. I have a limited budget and time is not a factor. I have already got a webber on it and understand that i need:-

.Exhaust manifold
.Vl pistons/shaved pistons to lower compression
.plumbing
.new exhaust

has anyone in adelaide done this before that i can get some info from?

any help would be much appreciated. THANX
chris
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I need 4 a Turbo? Reply with quote

why would u need VL pistons???? go with forgies VL's will be to bing and buy the time u bore it out to fit the engin will be to thin and heat up to quick
Ben J
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: What do I need 4 a Turbo? Reply with quote

Seriously, if you are asking these types of questions, i dont think you should think of doing it yourself,

If your mates can do it, Let them, But id get it done at a workshop if you dont know what YOU are doing

VL pistons, they r a 3L, And a shitload bigger than gemmi pistons, U gonna have a 20c thickness between bores yeah Wink

Ben
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: What do I need 4 a Turbo? Reply with quote

Ben,
Vl pistons are actually smaller in bore size than a 2 ltr, and you still have plenty of wall left for o'rings, the advantages of the vl pistons are they are full floaters, and you will have to get the rods bushed, but also the lower the comp considerable without machining them,

cheers
Eggy
TUFF_TE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I need 4 a Turbo? Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
My mates have a workshop and i was wondering if any in Adelaide had any shit that i need for the turbo upgrade. and is it easyier just to get the stock pistons shaved?
CHEERS
TUFF_TE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: