HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Coupe front end`

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Coupe front end` Reply with quote

has anyone here successfuly trasplanted a TF/TG front end onto a coupe?

ive got one with some frontal damage and ive got a spare TF lying around.

I've done a search and ive found one post with some help in it but i'm wondering if anyone else has done it and what problems they ran into etc

thanks
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Coupe front end` Reply with quote

Everything i could find on the subject i na search (workshop article? id email it but i got no email!)

Re: Newer frontend --(Mark)
posted by old forum on Fri Feb 23 01:10:41 2001, ip logged
I own a TG coupe, A TE coupe rally car, and have owned a TE coupe street car. They look heaps better with the later front end in my opinion. The fronts are relatively easy to change, as the gaurds head lights and bonnet all bolt straight over. The front beaver under the bumper is spot welded on, and the welds need to be drilled out or chiselled off to remove it. The biggest problem are the bumper mounts. The proper way is to cut off the radiator support crossmember and top panel and weld on later model ones. This allows the bonnet safety catch to work, and the later model bumpers to bolt straight up. The dodgy way is to totally remove the bonnet safety catch and fit the spring catch from the old bonnet to the new. You then remove the bumper mounts from the old bumper and then you weld the bumper mounts from the new bumper tp the old ones and bolt it back up. Ive done this once and a friend of mine then had a minor acco in it, and it was still structurally sound, but doing it the dodgy way while easier and quicker just doesnt sound nice!!

Re: TX coupe
posted by Mark on Sat Jan 5 19:16:54 2002, ip logged
Front tg fitment is pretty much a bolt on. Only hard mod is that you have to cut and weld the bumper bar support crossmember out of a tg into the tx.
Rear tg fitment involves getting a beaver panel from a wreckers and cutting and welding it into the tx. Unless your a panel beater its a pain in the arse.
202s fit in fairly easy if you use an auto. Use the gemini stall on a 202 flex plate, bolt it up to the gemini auto, engine mounts involve minor modifications but come pretty close to bolting straight up without any firewall modifications etc, but you have to modify the front radiator support panel to put the radiator further forward, leaving no room for a fan so you put athermo on the front. Works well for a skidbus/drag car, works shit for handling.

Re: Conversion
posted by GeminiKing on Sun Mar 24 13:15:17 2002, ip logged
You need the complete front end of a TG. Get a ruster for $500. The hardest part is removing the old apron of the coupe, its a mixture of drilling out the spot welds, and grinding. Remoce the guards, bumpers, etc, and you'll work out where to attack it when you see what you are left with.

Yuo have to do the same on the TG to get its apron off, but when you do cut a sizeable amount of the chassis rails off with it, cos this will need to be cut back to match the end of the rails on the coupe. Match the rails on the TG apron to the coupe, then weld it on using all the holes where the spot welds were. And of course, weld where the rails should butt up together.

Once the apron is welded on, everything will bolt on. If you have a TX coupe with the old style radiator, that will need some minor modifying to get on.

Re: TE-TG Coupe --(Kev)
posted by old forum on Mon Oct 30 22:21:59 2000, ip logged
There is no need to cut and shut the front end unless you particularly want the TG dash. TE dashes are the same as your TX anyway. The rear panel on the TE-TG sedan won't fit the coupe rear end 100% - there is a lot of messing around. You may be able to get a rear panel from a TG coupe imported if you are serious about it. Note also that the 'real' TG coupes have TE taillights, as the aussie TG taillights were just an aussie thing. If you need more info give me a shou

Re: tg front cut
posted by elky on Mon Oct 22 19:32:54 2001, ip logged
basically, u drill the spot welds around front radiator panel to remove it, weld the new panel on and that's it. all the panels will now fit from a later model. If u have rust in the front sills and box sections, then you are better of doing a complete front cut, then u also get the mounts for the late model dash as well. We can do both types of conversions $100 radiator support and $300 for the front cut, the whole front cut is only $80 but really good

Re: Coupe
posted by bluepanno on Tue May 28 17:40:41 2002, ip logged
tx/d to tg front end conversion is pretty simple but a bit of work involved. u need all the obvious tg bits, bonnet, gaurds plus the radiator support panel.(yes the big panel that the radiator, headlights, grille, etc, etc bolt onto) need to drill out all spotwelds of ur coupe and weld the tg panel into place. Or, u could use the original tx/d support panel but u will always have problems opening and closing the bonnet and the grille/lights would look dodgy. personally, i think the coupes look way better with the proper front end, good luck!
cheers
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Coupe front end` Reply with quote

tahts some good work bro becaue im definaly getting a coupe wit a TG front end in about 1/2 years time and was goin to do some searching
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: