HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

*URGENT INFO* G200W into a TG SL/X '85 Gemini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cni
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: *URGENT INFO* G200W into a TG SL/X '85 Gemini Reply with quote

OK I just got quoted $600 for a G200W, Efi/Dohc etc... Thats NZ $$$ To by the way.

Now I have been looking into getting a 5-SPEED TG SL/X Gemini Sedan 1985, with a seized motor...so an engine swap is going to be required.

Now I am on a limited as budget on this one and Gemini parts in NZ are not the same as in Ozzie...and it needs a couple of parts.

What I need to know is dropping the G200W into the engine bay gonna be too much of hassle? can I use the same engine mounts? what else do I need?

Have the engine lift all sorted etc..just wanna get on with it so I can get the car and get it done before the machine ends up in a wrecking yard hell...
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: *URGENT INFO* G200W into a TG SL/X '85 Gemini Reply with quote

has it got a gear box if so good price you can use a stock gemini gear box but have to modifiy the startermotor to the other side you need a beter fuel pump i will think of the rest later
cni
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: *URGENT INFO* G200W into a TG SL/X '85 Gemini Reply with quote

the SL/X has the normal 5 speed box, will that mate up or nah do I need a different type of gearbox?
Engine is just engine with all bits.... better fuel pump any suggestions?
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: *URGENT INFO* G200W into a TG SL/X '85 Gemini Reply with quote

VLT fule pump, cheap and VERY effective.
the standard gem gearbox will bolt up, but the starter is on the wrong side, u will need the bell housing modded to get the starter on the right side. i heard desel boxes have the starter on the other side but iv never seen a desil box so i dunno 100%
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: *URGENT INFO* G200W into a TG SL/X '85 Gemini Reply with quote

VLT fule pump, will investigate that one?

Dope that std gem box will bolt up..how easy is it to rangi the starter motor to the right side?
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: *URGENT INFO* G200W into a TG SL/X '85 Gemini Reply with quote

VLT pump is big enuff! trust me lol, im using one on my fj20 gemini.
---------
moving the starter SHOULD (iv never done it so i dunno)just need the mounts cut of the right and the left cut out. then swwap the cut out pieces left to right and right to left. and have it welded up.
dunno, as i said never done it.
look into the desil boxes, it would be easyer way out.
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: *URGENT INFO* G200W into a TG SL/X '85 Gemini Reply with quote

You need a larger fuel pump and possibly upgraded lines to EFI hose.

A VL fuel pump does the job. In fact a camira fuel pump will to. Its actually the same thing and sometimes cheaper !

You will also need an EFI fuel filter and a fuel pressure regulator.

Bolting it in is sometimes a problem. Some models don't fit on the gemini mounts and require you to section in a part of the desiel crossmember to move the engine forward. After that you may need to remove your blower cover just to squeeze the engine in.

The engine fan won't fit so that needs to be removed and replaced with an electric thermo fan. Wire this to a switch in the cabin and flick it on when it gets hot. Better yet, wire it to a temp sensor switch that comes on over a certain heat level.

Regarding gearbox, the gemini one will not fit. Best option is to try and located a g200w gearbox or at least the bellhousing. If you can get that you can squeeze the gemini internals into that. Not 100% sure but rodeo boxes may have the starter on the other side ? Not sure but worth a look.

Finally you will need a computer to run the EFI (presuming all your EFI gear is complete, as in throttle body, plenum, injectors etc..)

Computers can be bought as low as $200 second hand for an older model and go right up to thousands of dollars. For mine I will be using a microtech digi2 pro. I got it for $400 secondhand with loom.

You still need sensors which you can either buy new or source from a cars like a pulsar or camira. If you injection setup is complete it will come with most you need.

Another option is to use the camira injection computer and splice that into your dohc loom. I tried this before and the car did run but it took a lot of work from skilled people to get it to work. More hassle than its worth. In the end it was not readily tuneable and the car didnt run too great (rich).

Yeh thats about it i think..
ExGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: *URGENT INFO* G200W into a TG SL/X '85 Gemini Reply with quote

The easiest and probably cheapest fuel pump to use would be a submersible VN pump, that way there is no need for a surge tank as you will need this with a vl pump.
badboygem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: *URGENT INFO* G200W into a TG SL/X '85 Gemini Reply with quote

gem diesel box is same as petrol gem..........same side starter an all that bull shit......an if anyone wants to argue, then try-n tell me that i didnt just pull a 5speed outa a tg petrol an put it into a te diesel....
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: *URGENT INFO* G200W into a TG SL/X '85 Gemini Reply with quote

I just have a VL pump and pressure reg and no surge tank and the car went fine, even running really rich.

This does sound like a good idea though.
Gem_A9R
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: *URGENT INFO* G200W into a TG SL/X '85 Gemini Reply with quote

The cheapest and Easiet way to put a G200W in, Is Get a Diesel Crossmember and Mounts, Front Extention Housing(Bellhousing) from a Diesel RODEO not Gemini or Even a Bellet Gearbox(SAME A TWIN CAM). Camira or VL Turbo Fuel Pump. Ya can get a Surge tank and Pressure Reg from a Camira or What ever. Then its straight forward from there
DOHC Pano
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: *URGENT INFO* G200W into a TG SL/X '85 Gemini Reply with quote

I've got the normal 5 spped box on my twin cam you just need an adapter plate for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: