HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

engine trans. 78 into 84 (I DID SEARCH!!!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zep
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: engine trans. 78 into 84 (I DID SEARCH!!!) Reply with quote

Hey
I know some people will want to kill me for this question Very Happy, but here goes (If i'd done any transplants, I'd happily write a tech article for 'Workshop.'):

I have a 78 coupe with a perfect engine, and could own an 84 with a fucked engine. Later on, I wanna do the 2 lt conversion, but this isn't about that. I'm wondering if the 78 engine will slot right into the 84 sedan's bay, with no modification at all? I'm thinking that this might not work, but advice from any seasoned with Gemini's would be much appreciated.

Thanks, zep

(I did search, sorry to all if I wasted your time)
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: engine trans. 78 into 84 (I DID SEARCH!!!) Reply with quote

assuming your 84 is a T series ie. tf or TG

option 1 would be to swap the heads over that way the 84 would have all the correct emission gear as well, everything else wii be the same.

Option 2
not swaping the heads over,
then you will only need and aftermarket electric fuel pump as the 78 coupe has an electric fuel pump in the tank, the 84 will have a mechanical pump on the side of the head,

cheers
Eggy
zep
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: engine trans. 78 into 84 (I DID SEARCH!!!) Reply with quote

thanks, we have no emmission laws for that wort of thing in NZ, so its cool. About how much would I pick up this fuel pump for, is it hard to install? From Repco (I think you have repco in aussie)?

thanks, zep
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: engine trans. 78 into 84 (I DID SEARCH!!!) Reply with quote

fuel pumps aren't cheap but you could probably a pump and a fuel tank as well out of an older model, im guessing the fuel lines etc would be the same

are you sure you have no laws about that stuff?

i dont think you are allowed to put an engine from an older model car into a new model

ie you can't put a 1975 chev donk into a 1990 hilux etc
zep
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: engine trans. 78 into 84 (I DID SEARCH!!!) Reply with quote

Hmm, would the fuel pump from my coupe work? I'm guessing it should.

Oh, and how much 'isnt cheep'?
I don't think we have any law about that sort of thing, i mean, we're aloud to remove the catalytic converters from exhaust systems if we want, and things like that..
td gem now tg gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: engine trans. 78 into 84 (I DID SEARCH!!!) Reply with quote

guys,
im in th3e same situation here......got a blown tg motor....and a good condition td motor.
the head on the td motor is alloy so i am drilling out the mechanical fuel pump plate in the side of the head.
and then fitting the existing tg pump
simple.....and cheap
just thought id try n help
cheers
dave
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: engine trans. 78 into 84 (I DID SEARCH!!!) Reply with quote

a facit pump from repco are about $30- 50 but put rubber under it as they make a ticking sound that is kind of annoying
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: