HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

gemi won't idle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercow55
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: gemi won't idle? Reply with quote

g'day,
when i go to start my gemi it will start up ok and i will high-idle at around 1500 rpm when cold. I depress the accelerator to get the car to normal idle but the car just conks out and stops. adjusting the idle doesn't make nay difference and i have replaced the auto choke on the niki carby. It seems to idle reasonable when engine is warm but not when i start it up. If anyone knows what the problem is, please help me out because i have to keep it at high idle when starting off to keep teh car going. Cheers Ben
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: gemi won't idle? Reply with quote

choke fucked or you have lost one of your vacume lines out the side of the carby
pig75
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: gemi won't idle? Reply with quote

check the fuel cut off solenoid. it's between the choke & throttle cable make sure it clicks when you put power to it if it don't click you can cut the neddle then it will idle
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: WAIT WAIT WAIT HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE!!! Reply with quote

before pulling your carb to bits, let me get this straight... you say that it idles fine when warm, idles ok when the choke is on but when u kick it off (while still cold) it stalls??? am i right??

well if thats the case, here is the probable answer:

ITS A GEMINI, ITS AN OLD MOTOR

mine used to do that all the time, ya just gotta deal with it, not hard..

if ya want perfection dont own a gemini, get yaself into a newer car ie. injected etc.

dont get me wrong i love geminis but theyre old and u cant expect them to start and drive instantly on a cold morning...

cheers,
kev
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: WAIT WAIT WAIT HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE!!! Reply with quote

before pulling your carb to bits, let me get this straight... you say that it idles fine when warm, idles ok when the choke is on but when u kick it off (while still cold) it stalls??? am i right??

well if thats the case, here is the probable answer:

ITS A GEMINI, ITS AN OLD MOTOR

mine used to do that all the time, ya just gotta deal with it, not hard..

if ya want perfection dont own a gemini, get yaself into a newer car ie. injected etc.

dont get me wrong i love geminis but theyre old and u cant expect them to start and drive instantly on a cold morning...

cheers,
kev
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: WAIT WAIT WAIT HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE!!! Reply with quote

nah what i was saying is, with the niki carby there is two idle speed that you need to set one for high idle so you can start the car when its cold and the normal idle speed. On my gemi when car starts at high idle which is between 1500 and 2000rpm you depress the accelerator once to set the carby to normal idle. But my car doesn't idle at all just dies when i do this. SO even the car is warm sometimes it will idle but at about 1500 rpm, which is ok or when i pull up to a stop sign it will just stop.
Does that explain it better to you and i like my old cars and i realise its not just gonna start and go like an efi car when its cold i have driven a gemi before.
Cheers Ben
Wagonslut
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: WAIT WAIT WAIT HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE!!! Reply with quote

how now brown cow, have a fiddle with ur mixture screw(the one on the carby) Wink had this problem before, if its not that, its maybe ur idle solenoid, its the cylinder type thing, has 3 screws, screws in from the back,

GONE!
supercow55
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: WAIT WAIT WAIT HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE!!! Reply with quote

yeah it was the idle solenoid, tested the old one out and it didn't click. So had an old carby here took the soleniod off that and put it on the carby and car idles fine. Thanks to everyone for their help. Cheers Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: