HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

painting a block

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: painting a block Reply with quote

ok what have ppl used to paint there engine blocks mine is bare at the moment so before i put it back together i want to paint it but i dont want to have it peel or fade or crack under the heat etc
and before anybody says use engine enamel etc etc i cant get that in the colour i want.
will acrylic paint with a heatproof clear do the job or should i bite the bullet and 2pac the block ???
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: painting a block Reply with quote

what about that hemerite stuff
hammer finnish
dont know if its good enough to stand the heat nore sure
i got it on my brake calipers and its been on for a few months still looking alright hasnt pealed off
and its think paint so good for rough surfaces
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: painting a block Reply with quote

Any auto shop should sell heat proof paint. Most have a guide on where to use it. Exhaust paint will also do the Job as a block is not as hot as exhaust.
Menace
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: painting a block Reply with quote

If its just a bare block you should get it put in a acid tank. Then get VHT Engine paint. Its is more recommended than heat proof paint. although alot of people say its the same

Thats what i did. It comes out magic.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: painting a block Reply with quote

If you cant get the colour you want in engine enamel off the shelf, then either enamel or 2pac from a paint shop will do the job.

Although I have not tried it, I would bet that acrylic will not stand up to the heat.

Ben
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: painting a block Reply with quote

acrylic will do the job fine. ive done two of my engines in it and was perfect. the block doesnt get that hot. my uncle is a engine reconditioner and he said paint it in acrylic
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: painting a block Reply with quote

so you have painted yours in acrylic before yobbo
did it fade or discolour at all ?????

only reason i ask is it is a metallic pearl paint that im painting the block in and with the added heat of a turbocharger i dont know if it will hold up. i know of many engine bays painted in acrylic that started to peel and fade due to excessive heat.
lc boi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: painting a block Reply with quote

you could get the hole engine jet hot coated, then paint it! seriously though, i reccomend anything by vht, but really anything should paint it. if your engine gets hot enough to kill the paint, there are a few other things i would be worried about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: