HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Over heating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2001 4:48 am    Post subject: Over heating Reply with quote

hey i fixed the head gasket prob but she still ove heats??
the water punmp is 6 months old the thermo stat is brand new and the radiator is clean. I'm stuck and im ready to burn the bitch
stocky
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2001 5:36 am    Post subject: cars a trouble Reply with quote

well...did you ever put any radiator stop leak through it??
cause i did in my car and it blocked a heater hose, only figured it out after blowing three head gaskets i might add.
best thing to do is to go over it all again. flush out the radiator, check the hoses (especially the heater hoses) make sure theres no kinks, and if its still over heating take out the thermostat and try that. make sure theres no air in the system either cause an air pocket can f@#k the whole thing up and make you think you are crazy. If taking out the thermostat works, drill a hole in the new thermostat about 5mm from the plunger thing about..hmmm 2-3mm wide, cause new thermostats dont have holoes in them like the originals did, well mine didnt. sorry bout the huge message gentlemen, hope that helps fish.
stocky
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2001 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: cars a trouble Reply with quote

the hole in the thermostat makes sure any air in the system gets forced into the radiator before the thermostat opens, helps keep the pressure at the right psi or some shit like that.
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2001 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: cars a trouble Reply with quote

check you mixtures/timing too
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: cars a trouble Reply with quote

The thermostat is affected by temperature, hence thermo-stat Smile
Kinda reverse of a radiator cap, damn siezing thermofuqqers!

My TF is overheating slightly on longer runs, yet the plugs all burn evenly and I know I am not using water or oil in any cylinders. I was told the rad was a little blocked.

But the thermostat wan't helping either to start with.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: cars a trouble Reply with quote

yeah the thermo stat was fuggered so thaqt would explain the gusher
but yeah nomiS wednesday or next saturday if a street meet??
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: cars a trouble Reply with quote

wouldn't hurt to replace the cap so it opens at the right psi to avoid boiling. Tis why they're spring loaded.

cheers
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: cars a trouble Reply with quote

fixed the car thermostat was cracked
Tooleeda
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 3:00 pm    Post subject: Overheating Reply with quote

Just a couple of problems Ive encountered with overheating: A brand new thermostat (albeit a cheap one) siezed shut after about 50 km causing overheating on my car.
Did you inspect the water galleries when you had the head off? Chances are they a full of crap.
Be sure to have the heater switch inside the car on full heat with the early model Gems to avoid air locks.
Try running with the thermostat removed (TEMPORARILY!) to see if it runss cooler. If so renew the thermostat.

** There are three different thermostats available for Gems in SA with three different opening points (temperatures) Start with the coolest one and move up ***
Gen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Reply with quote

Have you got a coolent in the Gemini? I found that helps. I had to replace my thermostat, and when doing so i flushed the whole engine and radiator, as they will sometimes have some rubish that gets caught in the water ways, that will cause airholes and restricted water supply.
zookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Reply with quote

I had overheating problems with my TF once, tried everything to fix it. Turned out the points were adjusted a 'little to close' - and they were sticking... As soon as I fixed this, she never gets above halfway.
It's a long shot, but check out the condition of your points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini parts All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: