HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

whats a good motor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smiggy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: whats a good motor Reply with quote

what its a good motor that is fast not real lowed and will fit in a 1978 Td gemini. thanks to the people that write back coz i have no idea and the motor i have in it at the moment is fucked. cheers
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: whats a good motor Reply with quote

loud? loudness depends more on the exhaust. but generally the newer the motor the less noise itl make. go SR20, cheapish and common. maybe a bitch to put in but.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: whats a good motor Reply with quote

You must have a different definition of cheapish... $3k just for the halfcut...
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: whats a good motor Reply with quote

why not throw a holden 6 or a 265 in it??
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: whats a good motor Reply with quote

please refer to last weeks posts on early holden 6's.
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: whats a good motor Reply with quote

Why not? As there are so many reasons not to do this, it is easier to answer with another question - WHY?
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: whats a good motor Reply with quote

go for a gem 3 5.7 ltr. The extra weight will aid handling and braking. They too, are relatively cheapish. the standard 5 speed will do fine as too would the diff. However i'd advise welding your diff to once again aid handling and increase reliability.

Good luck
Adam
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: whats a good motor Reply with quote

Was that tongue in cheek?? Which cheek/s??

Can't find the post on holden 6's, WHATS WRONG WITH HOLDEN 6's?? I'm about to put a 202 into an early Rodeo. Done it before, good power to weight, good for burnouts too.

How about 3.8lt V6? Even better power to weight. Lots of VN's at the auctions going cheap. D.I.Y. conversion kits also available. If you can do most of the work yourself it'll save you some dollars.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: whats a good motor Reply with quote

You've got a name like racegem and you can't see why many of us would baulk at the thought of putting a holden 6 or even a booik (say it out loud) V6 into the nose of a gemini? Even as standard gemini weight distribution is pretty lousy with the front axle line passing through the the middle of the block when ideally it would be nice to have the motor behind this point.

Ever gotten a gemini airborne yourself? or even just seen the photo of Sheppard's car with the rear wheels about 2 metres higher than the nose (AND NO HELMETS). I've done it (anyone else remember that cruise?) and if there is any way I can prevent the same thing happening again (nose down, arse up) then I'll do it...

The buick motor isn't a light motor by any stretch of the imagination, the holden 6 even less so... If you were going to fit a large six cylinder at least go the Isuzu 6VD1 or 6VE1.

Regardless all of these motors would require IMV approval as they are too large for the gemini bodyweight under the LVMS regs.
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: whats a good motor Reply with quote

mate, take it eaz. do u think i'm for serious?

$2000 will just get u a v6, trans loom and all other accesories such as thermo's etc - for a 30 yr old+, heavy as, dinosaur.

Go the G200 or take up the offer of that 1600.
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: whats a good motor Reply with quote

ALl these other guys don't ahve the faintest fuqqin idea, hehe Wink

I reckon go for a 12A rotary Smile
No need for an engineers report either.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: whats a good motor Reply with quote

It's OK guys, I found the article...
...still, an engine that was used from 1964 till 1985 means there are still a couple of them around to make parts cheap. I never said that I would contemplate fitting one into a Gemini's short engine bay. You'd have to put the radiator on the outside of the grille!! I just asked what's wrong with them.
I'd have to question though as to the significant weight difference of the "booik" motor. Haven't yet put each of them on the bathroom scales, (Christ help me if I did and the wife found out), but an all alloy block that's about 2ft square without its ancilleries and a cylinder shorter, can't be too bad for weight distribution. As I said, "lotta work" !

As you rightly said, your local motoring authority would have something to say about it. Here in Vic., any more than 10% increase (either power or capacity) in an engine change, requires you to get an engineers report! Technically that means anything over 1760cc, and about 70hp!
Hamal
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: whats a good motor Reply with quote

Note this is a personal preference only! But I'm going for a G200DOHC conversion on the TD I have rusting in the backyard.

Approx 102KW Stock, although I'll be doing as much work as humanly possible to hopefully get it up to around 150-200KW.

After this I'll go a turbo.

AFAIK it only requires the diesel mounts and a brake upgrade and it'll still be legal (minus turbo).

The 4ZC1-T is also a popular mod (do a search in the forums) which as stock has 50HP over the G200DOHC.

I'm aiming for 200KW-250KW with turbo eventually, which should be plenty fast enough.
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: whats a good motor Reply with quote

yeah fully sick bro, then take out the springs, and put on some 20 inch wheels.. anything as long as there chrome! ful sik. bro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: