HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

missing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Getafix
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: missing Reply with quote

sitting at the lights, my car will miss the no. 2 cylinder quite regularly, especially when warmed up. Now I assume its the no. 2 because ive had probs with that one before, I get large amounts of what looks like black carbon buildup (could be burnt oil?) on the spark-plug over ap eriod of about 4 months (I just clean it off and its as good as gold for another 4 months). Not sure why, all the other ones are clean as a whistle. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to the problem, or had the same problem. Me thinks it may be the head but not sure, or a lack of compression, which will suck the big one.

any thoughts appreciated
Tooleeda
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: missing Reply with quote

Sounds like that cylinder is burning oil. If youre lucky its the valve stem seals. Do a compression test to check the rings and seats. If that cylinder is down then youll need to pull the head to check the valves and bores for wear.
Either that or keep cleaning the plug every 4 months. If youre getting smoke out the tailpipe when you accelerate though, ith will more than likely need re-ringing.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: missing Reply with quote

Could also be a burnt out valve, not uncommon for No. 4. This causes not only your miss, but the unburnt fuel will cause your carbon build-up.
Either way, a compression test is the next step.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: