HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

32/36 webber efficiency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:55 am    Post subject: 32/36 webber efficiency Reply with quote

anybody out there that has slapped a 32/36 DGV on there Gem, can you let me know what the fuel efficiency is like with normal (read Sane) day to day driving. i dont want to put one on my TX and find myself re-filling the fuel tank 5 times a week. just a simple comparison to the stock carby would be good. Also, will i need to grab the manifold with it, or will it bolt up to my existing G200 manifold with one of those Redline adaptors from Repco or such?.
And how is the consistency of theses carbs, as i dont want to have to get the damn thing tuned once a fortnight either. I know i'm asking alot, but it's better to ask and know rather than sit here and wonder what if...
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: 32/36 webber efficiency Reply with quote

They were a factory fit on, dare i say it, Fords, so they shouldn't go 'out of tune' unless there's a problem with that particular carby. Don't know of a Cortina manifold bolting up to a G200 so yes, you will need a Redline adaptor from autObarn!! (can get the part number if you like)
On my first TC, the 32/36 didn't drink that much more fuel, maybe up to 50 kays less out of a tank, but the increase in performance was noticeable.
You'll need an air cleaner too if you dont have one for the Weber already.
Cheers- Yonnee.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: 32/36 webber efficiency Reply with quote

Thanx Racegem, that part No. would be appreciated. I've just been to the site that explains the details of swapping over this carb & have found it extremely useful. In case anyone out there didn't get the Web addy its -
http://www.giant.net.au/users/wight/index.htm
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 32/36 webber efficiency Reply with quote

Those Webers rock - shit on a Nikki - should be a standard conversion on all Geminis!!!

There will need to be an adaptor made up to fit the throttle cable, and you'll be choke-less as well.

In regard to adapters - there are two different sorts that I know of, and one's easy to deal with and one isn't.

To explain, my mate bought an adapter to bolt a Weber to a Gemini intake manifold, and supplied were some S shaped bolts that had to be threaded through the adapter - not easy, and made especially hard by the poor tolerences of the adapter - meaning it wasn't exactly a precision piece of equipment. The S shaped bolt met with the Weber mount points at the top, then with the Gemini mount points at the bottom.

The adapter I got had two lots of bolts - the ones going into the Gemini stud pattern were flat-topped, allen-key bolts that sat flush with the top of the adapter. Then the bolts that met with the Weber stud pattern bolted into the adapter, rather than THROUGH it in the shape of an S.

There's no real difference, except that one was a headache to muck around with, while the other went on like a breeze. Can't tell you what brands they were though - I bought mine from an AutoPro shop, I think. They could be SA only.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 32/36 webber efficiency Reply with quote

Yeah I've seen those antiquated ones with the offset studs but not for years.
The one you want is the Redline brand, I'll get the part number, back at work tomorrow.
FrAsErTaG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 32/36 webber efficiency Reply with quote

Ive mucked around with both them adapter plates and I must say that the Redline ones are my favorite Smile
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: 32/36 webber efficiency Reply with quote

If you get the air/fuel ratios correct, than it wont use any more fuel than the Niki did whilst driving at the same levels of sanity.

The weber will allow more airflow, and will thus meter more fuel to match the increase in airflow, so it you give better performance and use more fuel if driven hard.

As far as the carby going out of tune, this is a myth. Your Nikki doesn't constantly go out of tune does it?

Ben Wight
Simmo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: 32/36 webber efficiency Reply with quote

Yeah,

Definitely do the conversion, like ben said you may get 50 or so less kays from a tank. Before i put the weber on i managed to get around 450 - 500 kms per tank (sometimes more), now i get 400 to 450, but like everyone else said, the power increase is noticable.
Wazza
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: 32/36 webber efficiency Reply with quote

hey a lot of people have talked about making up an adaptor for an accelrator cable, but this guy i know told me the easiest way to go is to get the accelerator cable from the car that the carby comes from, eg if you go to w ford wreckers and get one of these i
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 32/36 webber efficiency Reply with quote

A carby shouldn't go out of tune unless something is really wrong, should it?
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 32/36 webber efficiency Reply with quote

Not necessarily. Gradual wear in the carby will cause settings to become awry, as well as wear in the engine.

Stuff like that.

Having said that, I recently spoke to an owner of a Honda S600 convertable, which has a 600cc engine with four carburettors - said that once he got them on song, they've never gone out of whack since.

In comparison, the triple carbs fitted to LC & LJ GTR-XU1 Toranas (SUs and Holleys? I've got a feeling I'm wrong about the SUs for the LC) go out of their ideal state of tune regularly.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: 32/36 webber efficiency Reply with quote

How about the accelerator cable adaptor that Redline makes to go with that adaptor?

DAMN! FORGOT THAT PART NO. Sorry. Get it tomorrow.
Yonnee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: