HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Supercharger on a RB Gem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brizben
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:40 am    Post subject: Supercharger on a RB Gem Reply with quote

I am currently shoping around for a supercharger for my RB gemini and I am wondering if anyone could recommend a specific s-charger to suit.
Engine is 4XCI 1.5l carby currently with extractors and
2-1/4 inch exhaust system.

I am also curious as to whether an intercooler can be hooked up to the system, inbetween the carby mounted on the
s-charger via pipework to i-cooler and then maybe to a pod filter or the like hidden away from the heat.

No one i have asked can say whether it would work or not.

Thanks
SikGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Supercharger on a RB Gem Reply with quote

I must say that I am impressed that you are putting a turbo on an RB. I think they are such a cute car, but non of my Gemini-friends like them cos they're front wheel drive. Good on ya, mate. Keep up the good work!! Smile
SikGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Supercharger on a RB Gem Reply with quote

Sorry, sorry, sorry!!! SUPERCHARGER not turbo... it's late and I'm tired!!!
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Supercharger on a RB Gem Reply with quote

Maybe you should have a look at the same set-up as Drago Ostric has on his Gem in the latest Fast Fours. I'm not sure what he has pulled it from, maybe an MR2 as they are the only supercharged Toyota i am aware of (dont know all that much about Toyotas). Someone else here should know where it originated - Not sure if any of the Corollas were fitted with a blower ?
The intercooler is definately a bad idea with a draw-thu set-up, it bassiacally acts as a time bomb full of air & fuel waiting to go off in the event of a bad miss fire from the carby or engine. A blow thru set up would better suit an intercooler and allows for a blow off valve.
For a Blow thru set-up, have a look at the range of centrifugal superchargers from someone like Vortech. Or if you really want to go a Lysholm/Roots style blower, then have a look around jap import wreckers and ask a few questions on what was fitted with a supercharger as standard fitment and look at the set-up if they have any there.
Sorry i'm not much help, but it's better then a poke in the eye with a bent pushrod...
Cheers,
Jasyn...
P.S Ask Ben Wight on this forum, he has a decent amount of experience with turbo set-ups and may be able to help with a blower set-up.
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Supercharger on a RB Gem Reply with quote

I think an ideal supercharger would be the one from a
4A-GZE (from the japenese Levin), you could prolly even use the inter-cooler from one but have it frontmounted.

Just remember that any work will be custom so it may cost a bit, but if you like your car than it should be worth it if you get a good price.

Oh, and don't run to much boost, I'm not sure how strong these engines are but I'm sure they could take a mild boosting.
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Supercharger on a RB Gem Reply with quote

You might be better off fitting a 4XC1-T engine, they cost only $800 from SSS
FJ2047
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Supercharger on a RB Gem Reply with quote

an intercooler cant be hooked up to carby engines. sorry dude would be good if you could.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: SORRY! Supercharger on a RB Gem Reply with quote

My deepest sympathies Ben, was it your Mums car? Is it an auto too? Surprised)
Only kidding mate, but I do have one question....
........why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, a front wheel drive? Isn't torque steer a wonderful thing?

But seriously, check how close the front of the motor is to the inner guard. Will you have enough room for a blower pulley and belt? Might be easier for a turbo set-up.

By the way...

Welcome aboard! Surprised)

Yonnee.
Brizben
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:08 am    Post subject: Thanks:Supercharger on a RB Gem Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good ideas and criticisms.

I'll keep you all posted on the fitting!!
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Supercharger on a RB Gem Reply with quote

Really? Hmmmm, perhaps my friend has a radiator between his turbo and carby?
You can't intercool drawthrough carby turbos/s-chargers. You CAN intercool blowthrough carby turbos/s-chargers.
FJ2047
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Supercharger on a RB Gem Reply with quote

sorry mistake. But ask your friend how much petrol is sitting at the bottom of his tanks. And ask him how long it takes for the engine to warm up enough before it starts to work efficently. IE COLD STARTS.
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Supercharger on a RB Gem Reply with quote

How can fuel get into the end tanks if the carby is AFTER the intercooler? It would be like a salmon fighting it's way up Niagra Falls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: