HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

stroking engines?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabz20
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: stroking engines? Reply with quote

Just wondering if it is possible to stroke a 1600 to a 2000....... is there enough room,or is it safe??? i think 120 thou is safe?
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: stroking engines? Reply with quote

nah you cant man. the smart guys will tell you why. something about the water somethingerother tooo wide.

like you can probabally *do it* but it will blow up in a few days or some shit
gabz20
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: stroking engines? Reply with quote

sweet man,thanks...
Simon
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: stroking engines? Reply with quote

sorry man but i tend to disagree....i know of a few places that build 1600 motors, bore them to 2L, stroke them, fit the 2L crank and produce bout 130hp from them...with the nikki carbie....160hp+ with twin webbers...i do agree though with the question of reliability...but i know a few here in Sydney that have run these engines hard for a few years and they still go like a rocket...i may be wrong..but its just what ive been told
Simon
SLeeKGreeK
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: stroking engines? Reply with quote

what exactly is done in the process of stroking engunes?
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: stroking engines? Reply with quote

its gott a piss you off that in 1982 isuzu were putting 130hp dohc efi engines as stock into their ZZ models

why dont we ever get the good cars?

oh and they even put catalyric converters on them... greenies as well... bastards cost me $250 ! Smile
Getafix
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: stroking engines? Reply with quote

it's where you put a bigger crank in i.e. the piston moves further up and down, effectivly increasing engine capacity (and in theory more power). the prob with doing this is that the engine won't spool up as quick or be able to rev to as high RPM (due the the bigger throw making the engine hard to balance. a mate spent 10 g's on a 253 engine, stroking it to 330ish, and because it can't rev it doesnt produce pwr and he get's dragged by stock VL 6's). personally i'd go with boring the engine out and putting in bigger pistons - still able to rev its tits off (so long as proper work has beend one) and bigger engine capacity (more more power).

-dave
SLeeKGreeK
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: stroking engines? Reply with quote

thanx dave i thought it was the same as boring but obveously uve told me what it is thanx heaps champ Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: