HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

car theft in Oz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: car theft in Oz Reply with quote

HAve noticed a few posts lately about theft. my Gem was stolen once, and recovered as a bare shell 6 months later. I hand built it myself, turbo, custom paint job, $1600 custom velvet interior, must have had over 500 hrs of work invested in it. gone!

THEse thieving arseholes live in all big cities, and I dont think they are all druggies. they know which cars they can get, and Gems are one of them. A screwdriver into the door lock, and they are in. You can only counter petty theft in 2 ways
1. Always only park in a well lit area, near human traffic.
2. Dont keep anthting of value on show in your car. Put a towel over the stereo if its expensive, eg I leave the glovebox open to show there is nothing in there, etc

To counter car theft fit
1. A cutout switch to your fuel pump in a NON obvious place.
(They WILL look for one briefly if it doesnt start)
2. a Steering lock as a visual deterrent.(they know they are going to have to spend some time getting rid of that - get a brand that works, some are bullshit.) Even if he gets past the steering lock, he'll give up when the petrol runs out 50 yards down the road.

If everyone did this, the arseholes who steal would have to re evaluate their tactics overnight.

AND NEVER THINK IT WONT HAPPEN TO YOU. CAR STEALING IS A MAJOR HAPPENING THING IN OZ. 20 - 30 CARS A DAY GET STOLEN IN BRISBANE ALONE and they are mostly older cars. Every second person you meet in Oz has had a car pinched. You have been warned.
SLeeKGreeK
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: car theft in Oz Reply with quote

good advice. my tips
1-always take face of your stereo and dont leave it in the car
2-dont have speakers shwoing as junkies steal them to support there habit as they are easy to sell.(not all theifs are junkies but where i live the majority are)
3-steering wheel locks as a visual deterant only, they can be tkaen off quite easy but its still another thing that will deter them.
4-touch car alarm a MUST i cant stress it enough u get a car u alarm it straight away. and a decent brand not some el,cheapo peice of crap if it saves your car once its a good buy.
5- SOLEX locks takes the element of hacks out of it screwdrivers cant be lodged in them and are a wise buy.
6-wheel nut locks are essential if your riding on a nice set of mags a couple of diferent ones.
7- never advertise your stereo on your car ie:the stickers u get when u buy speakers and so forth ie:SONY MOBILE
8- steering wheels make sure u lock the barrel b4 u get out (turn to one side till it locks) and get a sun cover to cover that sweet steering wheel your sporting.
8- monster tachoes and shift light tackoes cover them with a cap or beanie and a shit cap or beanie.
9- always park in a place where it can be seen by alot of people and at a station go early and get the spots in veiw of video cameras its a must.

hope these tips help
trust me its worth paying attention to them cheers Wink
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: car theft in Oz Reply with quote

And a simple one not too many people think of these days. Just pop out the rotor button and take it with you. Just one extra thing to frustrate a thief.
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: car theft in Oz Reply with quote

Or you can just do what i do and take out your engine and carry it around with u. It works for me and now im beefcake from doin it and my car has never been stolen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: