HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

damn electrics.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: damn electrics. Reply with quote

another damn electrical problem.
whenever i start the gem, shell run fine, but as soon as the starter stops, so does the motor. its not running off the starter, as with the key in the start position, itll run and rev beyond startup range. however, as soon as it hits "on", itll die.
any ideas?
thanks.
rob.
Andrew
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: damn electrics. Reply with quote

Your fuel pump working? The car only runs for about 1-2 seconds if the fuse has blown or the pump is dead.
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: damn electrics. Reply with quote

dude, my car is on gas......i just mistakenly assumed that people would remember that, considering all of the posts ive put up on trying to get the damn setup working right, and all the other shit ive done. sorry, but my car has no petrol lines or need for a fuel pump. thanks anyways.
still got me buggered tho.
cheers
rob.
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: damn electrics. Reply with quote

rob i am reasonably positive i have had the same thing happen to me... the engine will turn over and even fire and rev when the key is in the 'start'position however when it is turned back to on it dies!

it finally turned out to be a fusable link just near the ignition coil (looks like a little white plastic box with a loop of wire goin out and coming back into it) RACV picked it up using a test light and simply made his own to replace it

anyway i'm pretty sure it will be this link
hope it helps
cheers
NeWaZ
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: damn electrics. Reply with quote

Check that in the 'on' or 'ignition' position, that you have 12v on the positive terminal of the coil.

If not, then that is your problem.

I cant think of anything else, if it was your fuel pump, the engine would still idle for about 30 seconds. So it must be igntion.

There is a cut off solenoid on the carb that opens when it receives power to allow fuel flow at idle, maybe this is also not getting power whilst the key is in the on postion.

Ben WIght
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben... Reply with quote

okies, the coil is fine, so is the fuseable links, and im running a 34adm with straight gas, so i dont think the fuel pump is an issue here.

however, eggy seems to think its a dud relay near the coil.
all the wires to the coil seem intact and working, and the relays are the only things i havent checked yet.

but thanks anyways.
rob.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben... Reply with quote

Maybe your gas sloenoid is not getting power in the 'on' position, shutting off gas supply to converter.

If the coil has 12V whilst in the on position, then the subseqent power wiring must be fine. This means that the ignition system as a whole is fine, as you are getting spark to start the engine, and there is still power at the coil when back to the on postion, so there is no reason you still wont have spark.

The only other thing to not let the engine run is fuel, so I would think your gas supply is shutting off. Check power to the gas solenoid in the on postion. I dont know gas systems very well, thats about the only electrical device I know of in the gas supply line.

Ben Wight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: