HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

standard bottom end-->power?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: standard bottom end-->power? Reply with quote

Hey,
just thinking about my engine rebuild ill be doing and wondering what power is available from a gemini bottom end(G161). IE is there any point in me rebuilding a good bottom end. I realise i can put in high comp pistons and overbore, put what kinda hp would this be worth? Should i just do the head now then rebuild the bottom end when needed. I will be running straight gas, with a ported/ flowed /oversize valves etc head.
Will the standard bottom end be good enough with this head to make ~150hp??? i know power estimates are hard but i really would like to no

Ps the camshaft will probally be custom ground to match the Gas sytem (ie longer duration..) but will be fairly lumpy.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: standard bottom end-->power? Reply with quote

the botom end can easily handle 150Hp if they can handle a turbo they can handle anything.

The crank is a FORGED STEEL item just look at the marking on the crank to a ford or a holden crank,. the rods are quite thick compared to a V8 holden

but they are good quality factory items
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: standard bottom end-->power? Reply with quote

I am running a standard g200 bottom end to around 300hp, and the motors are virtually the same. In fact, I would assume the longer stroke of the g200 would place the 2 litre's internal under more stress than a 1600, so 150hp would be a walk in the park.

Ben Wight
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: standard bottom end-->power? Reply with quote

yer but without a bottom end rebuild (to get 10:1 comp/more cubes) will i be able to get 150hp from just a head port, shave/ matched cam/ gas sytem? (rodeo manifold with gas carby)????
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: standard bottom end-->power? Reply with quote

might do but it means shaving the head to extreme
and porting it so it flows the same not a backyarder or a engine builder wiyh out a flow bench
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: standard bottom end-->power? Reply with quote

You wont be able to get 150hp from a 1600 without boring it to fit oversize 1800 pistons in. You could do it, but it would mean very high compression and big cam, meaning high octane fuel and valve reliefs cut in the top of the pistons, which doesn't fit into your category of standard bottom end.

Doing what you described, you will be lucky to get 100hp, which isn't that bad really, its about a 35% power increase over standard, it would be a nice cruiser.

Ben Wight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: