HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

attn: mooch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TGemi1
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: attn: mooch Reply with quote

hey did u peel all the vyinal off your dash b4 u re designed it? i wanna give my dash the smooth finish( not wRinky) DO u think i would b able to smeath bog and fiberglass all over it and sand it smooth, then hit it with a couple of coats of high-fill primer then paint? cheers dude , hey just throught u should see how my paint job came out. u gave me some advice on the finishing touches( blocking back colour n clear n buffing etc), here it is :

http://www.hotgemini.com/cgi-bin/gallery2.cgi?action=sv&vid=384

it think it came out good for the first time . Email me
Tgfanatic@hotmail.com

chris...
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: attn: mooch Reply with quote

firstly your car looks good for your first go! congrats.

what i did with my dash in a nutshell, is to buzz the whole thing down with an 80 grit disc on the orby. Especially paying attention to the nooks and crannies. Do those by hand if necessary. Don't break through the vynal if you can help it. I did this so i could coat the dash with a layer of fibreglass or two.

I had done some mods with spray foam which is another reason why i fibreglassed most of the dash.

Then it was two coats of 2k high fill primer, which was then rubbed with 120 with a soft block, then 320. Guide coating each time.

Then i gave it 4 or 5 coats of acrylic primer, followed by a wet rub with 400, then 2 coats of primer, then a wet rub with 600.

Then it was time for colour etc etc.

Don't get too much gloss ontop of the dash or u'll get bad glare. So spray it a tad dry there but not coarse. All up there's about 50 hours in my dash.

Wait till you see the dash i'm doing now. All will be revealed soon enough. Alot of people will be surprised put it this way!

Cheers
Good luck
Mooch

PS Don't rush this stuff, if you haven't got patience, learn it, if you still haven't got it, don't play with cars!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: