HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

STALL CONVERTERS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BILLET_GEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: STALL CONVERTERS Reply with quote

whats the go on these can u use them on a gem?
like on a 4spd...... im asking note so dont go sick at me inform me
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: STALL CONVERTERS Reply with quote

yes u can get them for geminis
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: STALL CONVERTERS Reply with quote

yes u can use them on autos like they are ment for not manual boxes. ive only ever seen one on a turboed gem and it stalled up to 5000rpm i think. waste of time.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: STALL CONVERTERS Reply with quote

A stall convertor is also known as a torque convertor. They're only used on automatic transmissions. Sort of like a hydraulich clutch for the engine to make forward momentum at certain revs/engine loads. Basicaly a higher rated stally (eg; 3500rpm) makes the engine rev to a particular point before moving the car forward. A drag racer uses a higher stall to build the revs to his desired point to help make the car launch while it is inside the cams optimum range. Say you have a cam that is best suited and produces it's 'power-band' in the 3000rpm-7000rpm range, you would use a stall converter with approx a 2500rpm-3000rpm stall speed. This way, when the car launches its already in it's cams efficiency range.
A stall of more than 2500rpm would be a bit of a bitch to drive on the street, especially if you're in the heart of a city with a million traffic lights stopping and starting.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: STALL CONVERTERS Reply with quote

i got a mate with a charger with a 3000 stallie i think or a 3500 he drives it aroudn town and stuff on week ends its syco
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: STALL CONVERTERS Reply with quote

hahah i mised the 4 speed bit, u want a stallie on a manuall?? LOL WTF for?
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: STALL CONVERTERS Reply with quote

GOLD TX GEMINI : wrote
A stall of more than 2500rpm would be a bit of a bitch to drive on the street, especially if you're in the heart of a city with a million traffic lights stopping and starting.

I run a 4200 stall in my gem around town and with heaps of traffic lights with out any problems at all

cheers
GemiNick
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: STALL CONVERTERS Reply with quote

how much does one cost?
and do you reckon it would go sick with a draw through turbo set up?
Gem_A9R
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: STALL CONVERTERS Reply with quote

I'm Running a 2800rpm Hi Stall on my Very Played with Trimatic. And its a Dream to drive Daily and has never given me a Problem. It only gave me shit when i had a Huge Cam(Suited a Manual)and now its fine.
If the Auto is set up right and ya Engine has balls it will Destroy a Manual, Thats my Opinion.
A Hi Stall will work Great on a Turbo as long as the Stall Speed is right on Boost Range.
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: STALL CONVERTERS Reply with quote

Your other cam would of been fine if you gave it a little more stall..
overit
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: STALL CONVERTERS Reply with quote

useless info #1 ford explorers come standard with a 3 grnad stalley #2 gemi torque converter in 6 cylinder hold equates to 1500 or 2000 rpm stalley
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: STALL CONVERTERS Reply with quote

gemini convertor in a trimatic actually gives you approx
3000rpm stall well thats what i got in my spu o spu (202)commondore..

cheers
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: IDAREU2 Reply with quote

I was more refering to a regular daily driver, as in - to work and back 5 days a week, down to the shops, Fri & Sat night cruises for hours at a time, driving mates and girlfriends around, etc etc.
True, a 2500rpm stally is a little on the conservative side, but i was being rough on an estimate. 3500 would have been a better reference.
I've been in a mopar cruising on Fri & Sat nights, the torque-flite roughly a 4000rpm stally and it annoyed the driver whenever we hit every single red light, and even more so when cops where beside us. But he refused to go down in stall speed as it was only a weekend and drag car.
Apologies if i came across as saying that the car would be unreliable in day to day traffic, this isn't what i was trying to say. I was referring to the characteristics of the way the car drives with a high stall speed and that it would be less streetable as a regular run-a-bout . I was under the impression that 'thats 1 nos gem's' mate wanted to instal a unit without any other mods to the transmission or engine as he didn't elaborate on other mods.
I'm not condemning the use of a 3500+ stally, it's just that it's not for me. You must just have a higher patience/tolerance thresh-hold to put up with a your convertor than what i or my mate did. It's all good. : o D

Cheers,

Jasyn...
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: IDAREU2 Reply with quote

NOT A PROBLEM i meant nothing by it either just letting you know you can have stall and reliability..
but your mate musnt enjoy his car at all..
the best thing i enjoy is hearing a stout engine with a high stall i recon it sounds wicked ,his must be ova the top, mine is not a problem at all from the lights even in rundle street its not bad, gets a little more slippier and hotter by the end of rundle but still fine...

One of my mates has a ke10 corolla with a FJ20DET in it and a 4500 to 5 grand stall and it loves the street.

cheers
overit
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: STALL CONVERTERS Reply with quote

cheers learn sumthin new evry day
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: