HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

4spd opinions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: 4spd opinions Reply with quote

I am getting a fairly mild motor built up for my gem (g180,2l bore, tx head etc) and I have selected to mate it up with a 4spd.

From what I have been told the ratios are the same as a 5 spd (5th is an overdrive).

I've also been told the 4spd is a bit stronger due to more even weight distribution. The 5 spd apparently is heavier at the back and this throws it off balance or something causing the 2nd gear synchro problems all gem owners know too well Smile

Seems to me like the 4 spd is the way to go, its also cheaper too Smile

I dont do a huge amount of high speed cruising so I don't see that a problem, only the odd surf trip on weekends.

Any opinions ?
TGemi1
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: 4spd opinions Reply with quote

ratios, 5sp 1st- 3.790:1 , 2nd- 2.175:1 , 3rd- 1.417:1 , 4th- 1.000:1 , 5th- 0.855:1

4sp 1st- 3.790:1 , 2nd- 2.175:1 , 3rd- 1.417:1 , 4th- 1.000:1

from gregories manuel i belive gene said i was wrong when i said the ratios were the same, but i have the proof so this time gene u r wrong. so err, sorry had 2 say that cause i knew i was right, 5th gear is only an overdrive so a 5sp would be better. hope this helps, did u know u get better acceleration in reverse

chris...
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: 4spd opinions Reply with quote

"5th gear is only an overdrive so a 5sp would be better."

Yes, for cruising at high speeds but not for normal driving really.

For normal city driving (under 100k's) I would say the 4 spd would be adaquete.

If anyone drives one and has any annoyances, yell out now !
TGNVD247
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: 4spd opinions Reply with quote

a 4 speed will definately b cheaper than 5 but think of how much more petrol u r going 2 go thru, so its guna b heaps dearer in the long run..

i wood definatley go with the 5 speed!
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: 4spd opinions Reply with quote

only bad thing about a 4 speed (i have one) is that on a freeway the engine revs too much and uses a bit too much fuel, but apart from that, no probs.
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: 4spd opinions Reply with quote

I live in Adelaide and drove to Coffs Harbour and back with a 4 speed. She used some juice and the water pump died, but I'd say that was coincidence.

That being said, I had 5-speed laying around from an old Gemini so I got it put in. I've never, ever had a problem with it and I race it at Mallala. My car isn't overly powerful mind you.

The overdrive 5th might even be useful for those surfing trips. I don't use it around town, but it would get a go at least once every week or so with an 80 zone here and there. It all ads up.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: 4spd opinions Reply with quote

i travel down to victor from west beach every weekend or so.

If it means i will use 5 bucks more petrol or so then thats no big deal.

Exactly how much more fuel would I be burning ?
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: 4spd opinions Reply with quote

i got a early model 4 speed but i had a 5 spd aswell
the 5 speed broke easily but the 4 speed lasted longer.

I would get the 5 spd if you travel alot in 70 to 80 kmh zones alot
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: 4spd opinions Reply with quote

my guess is that it will probably use a few more litres per trip. it may not be a big deal money wise but i think it is definately more comfortable and quieter cruising in 5th.
TGemi1
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 4spd opinions Reply with quote

yeh u dont use 2 much more fuel, i have a 4sp, it revs at 3800rpm on 100km/h, to get from victor down 2 adelaide and back it prolly uses about 18litres or so, i just wack in $20 and that does it. hey Soop what soughta gem do u got, maybe i've seen it around as i live in victor.

chris...
Cammo79TE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 4spd opinions Reply with quote

yeah ive got a 4 speed, and $20 would get u to victor and back pretty easily. it revs a little too high for my liking at 110, but it doesnt seem to use much fuel at all, so it doesnt really bother me.

and chris you're right, i got a gregories manual too, and the only difference between the 4 and 5 speed is the 5th gear. the other 4 gears have same ratios. reverse in the 5 speed is 3.438 and its 3.500 in the 4 speed
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 4spd opinions Reply with quote

U fellas must still be using a stock carby. If i had a 4 spd i'd be leaving my car at home on long trips
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: