HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

4spd to 5spd conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TX_Loon
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: 4spd to 5spd conversion Reply with quote

My missus wants me to put a 5 speed in the gemi cause she drives it mostly, bitch, and i was just wondering if i will have to make any modifications, eg; shifter hole, crossmember, tailshaft. Any help would be appreciated
PROJECT_MADGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: 4spd to 5spd conversion Reply with quote

Checkout the workshop, its got plenty of info to sink your chompers into
TX_Loon
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: 4spd to 5spd conversion Reply with quote

Yeah I know, but I can't find anything about what I want to know in there
Stoktg
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 4spd to 5spd conversion Reply with quote

The only thing you might have to change is the tail shaft, there are corse splines for earlier gearboxes and fine splines for the later ones. Just have to make sure you have the right one to fit the gearbox. Its a pretty easy conversion. Just need to drain the oil, take off the clutch cable, handbrake cable, gear shifter, eletrical connections, tail shaft and then unbolt it from the engine and gearbox crossmember. You can probably do the whole conversion in less than an hour.
gem12c
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 4spd to 5spd conversion Reply with quote

if it's a tx it all depends on if you have the so called flat floor pan or not. question: are your front seat bolt straight through the floor or have a lip on the front.
reason being is that if you do have the flat floor you will need to modifie the rear gbox mount and that will mean that you will need a engineers certificat. trust me i had the same problem.
goodluck.
Green Machine
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 4spd to 5spd conversion Reply with quote

i think the 4spd tailshaft is to long slightly for the 5pd. but apart from that i've herd it's not to hard. i'm in the process of sourcing a 5spd myself so let me know how you went. i.e. problems, solutions, how much better it was!
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: done it Reply with quote

yes i have done this conversion i found it heaps eaiser to just pull the motor out the f%$k around trying to get the bolts undone with out the proper tools uni joint extensions and so on the only different thing was the tailshaft from fine to corse i went from my old 5 spd which i blew to a 4spd easy it took 1-2 hrs all up but that's because iv'e had to change the motors heaps so iv'e got it down to a fine art
zzz
TX_Loon
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 4spd to 5spd conversion Reply with quote

Cheers for the help boys, I'm a mechanic so it should be easy, have all the right tools plus a hoist in the shed Smile
I do have the flat floor pan, so what sort of x-member mods are we talking about?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: