HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

two mirrors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue TG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: two mirrors Reply with quote

had a look at some cars that would have suitable mirrors (2 of) for a gem

just comparing door angles and height etc, and i noticed that the WB holdens had, well, exactly the same mirrors, and 2 of em!

im not sure if its a perfect matce but they look pretty damn similar and i cant pick the difference.

just thought id share for all the originalish hotgems
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: two mirrors Reply with quote

same mirror but differnt base you need to use the Gemini base.
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: two mirrors Reply with quote

does anybody know what else is a good fit or what else have ppl used something stylish

i heard cbr fireblade motorbike ones were good but went and checked them out and they suck and dont think theyd fit anyway
i want something differant and 2 for my rebuilt wagon
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Speaking of Mirrors Reply with quote

I am probably going to buy a Gem on wednesday and its really confused me, im buying it from a chick who got it from an old guy and she says its a 1984 TG, but i dont know if it is. It has sunken in headlights, which seem to be from the TF but i dont know who would have swapped the headlights over because she didnt know what i was talking aobut when i said "it has TF lights" It has the chrome mirrors on it as well, i didnt think they were standard, someone said they were aftermarket. Also it has the original paint job and has a triple pinstripe white line from front corner to back borner along the sides. I dont know if its a TF or TG or what, its confused me. Any ideas?
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Mirrors Reply with quote

Look at the build plates under the bonnet to see if its a TF or TG.
The lights could be different if it has had some front end damage over its time
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TG base model = TF!!! Reply with quote

TFs and TGs are confusing.

The TF has the TF front, unless it is a TF SL/X (top of the range). Then it has the TG front.

The TG has the TG front, unless it is a base model sedan or panelvan, then it still has the TF front.

I dare say the TG you've looked at is a base-model job. It will probably be lacking a clock, cigarette lighter, wheelcovers (small black plastic hubcaps instead if it's still all original) and it will have an early-model-style chrome mirror instead of a plastic-shrouded item.

Not sure where the stripes came from - TG base-models didn't even have a plastic bump strip! Could have been optioned on, or perhaps stuck on by a 2nd hand dealer back when they were seen in use car yards. A lot of pinstripes made it to the cars they are on via dealers 'sprucing' them up a bit.

Cheers,

Dave
macca
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: two mirrors/FLYINLoW Reply with quote

I have XB falcoln mirrors they look a lot better than
gemini ones (only my opinion) but if you were interested
you can by mounting kit from ford.

Macca
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: TG base model = TF!!! Reply with quote

ohhhhhhhhh thanks for that, things are a LOT clearer now, cheers. It hasn't lived in a dealer though, only had 2 owners and the one i bought it from, bought it from the original orner, so i dunno about the stripes.

Thanks buddy!
Sam
Cammo79TE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: TG base model = TF!!! Reply with quote

yeah, but it was probably bought from a dealership

its the same as how dealers put rims and cheap ass kits on new lancers to get people to buy them from tehre for the "dealership extras"
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: TG base model = TF!!! Reply with quote

Have a look-see on the support panel just near the top of the radiator (to the left from memory), there should be a factory stamp there with a series of letters and numbers.
The first few letters denote the model (unless it has a 'cut n shut' front end). On my car it has BTX....... this means that the body style is a TX. Same goes for all pre RB models, the stamp should be in the same location. Another example ATE....... denotes a TE model and so-forth.

S N 3 A K Y
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: