HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Engine that hasn't been started in a while?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Engine that hasn't been started in a while? Reply with quote

Just want to know if there is anything special i should do before starting my engine. It's been hanging up in my garage for the last 4 months. I had drained all the oil when i first took it out and plan to put new oil and oil filter in when i put it back in. Any issues with not having sufficient lubrication etc? Any other issues?

Thanks,
Jus
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine that hasn't been started in a while? Reply with quote

you probabaly should of keeped some oil in it and turned it over by hand every few weeks

there shouldnt be any probas just make sure every thing is hooked up correct and it has enough oil in it

andrew
HOP_A_LONG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine that hasn't been started in a while? Reply with quote

Squirt some DIII oil through the plug holes so the piston heads are submerged with oil and leave it for a day or 2. This should lube up the rings and free any sticky pistons.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine that hasn't been started in a while? Reply with quote

Take the plugs out and squirt some decent spray lube into the cylinders, INOX is a good one. Turn the motor over by hand a few rotations. Repeat this the next day. Remove rocker cover and drizzle oil over the camshaft. Replace the oil filter with a new one but 'prime' it first (pour oil into the filter and let soak in). Make sure the battery is in good nick, remove the coil lead and turn over by starter till the oil light goes out. Replace coil lead and start the car.
You don't have to do all this, but the more you do, the less wear on first start-up.
This also goes for a freshly built motor, although you'd use proper cam-lube if it was a new camshaft.

Yonnee.
Cuz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Engine that hasn't been started in a while? Reply with quote

Ok, sounds good. Whats the theory behind turing it over till the oil light goes out? Pump the oil through the engine i'm guessing?

Also, when using the spray lube, should i also have the engine filled with oil?

What's inox worth? Guessing i can get it from autobarn.......
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Engine that hasn't been started in a while? Reply with quote

Yeah it pumps the oil through the galleries and the oil filter and builds up oil pressure while only turning the motor over fairly slowly. Last thing you need is to start the motor and have no oil pressure for a few seconds while everything fills with oil again. MAXIMUM WEAR!!

Doesn't matter, the spray lube/INOX puts some lubrication into the top half of the motor.

Most good auto shops, including autObarn, 'bout $8 -$15, there's two different sized cans. Careful though, INOX do a battery additive as well, not a good lubricant but...
The reason I recommend INOX is unlike WD-40 or CRC, INOX doesn't evaporate within a few minutes. Even the Navy use this stuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: