HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

So my gemi nearly burned to a crisp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
td_wagon
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: So my gemi nearly burned to a crisp. Reply with quote

Spent the last year or so building up a td wagon, got the motor put in a few weeks ago and she goes great.

Polished her all up and took it out for a cruise today. Cruising along the main road listening to some tunes and the stereo starts to flicker on and off.. then the car shuts down. FUCK.

I roll to a stop a few meters down the road and fucking white smoke is pouring out of the bonnet. FUCK.

Pop the hood and see my main battery wires just about glowing red. The burning plastic coating was giving off a thick white smoke. Fuck. But at least my new motor was fine.

Usual story, the main line must have rubbed the insulation off and shorted out together.

My main battery lines are fucked so I need new ones, my battery itself is fucked I think. 1 hr after the incident it was still smoking from the vents.

What else will I need to replace, is there a main fuse or something on the car for the positive lead ? Since I have no power throughout the car at all. The other parts of the loom didnt burn, just the 2 main battery lines. There is another wire coming from the positive side of the battery, I assume this is the main power feed for the car. There is a small wire with a clip on each side. Is this the fuseable link ? Will I need to replace this ?

Well yeh thats burnt out and after that its ok. I hope. Havent checked the fuses yet but I assume some might be blown.

I'm sure this has happened to a few people before so just wondering what its gonna take to get her going again.

Any help would be appreciated.
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: So my gemi nearly burned to a crisp. Reply with quote

My mates car did something similar to this.
Check the positive lead going to your starter motor. It is a common problem in gems that the insulation on the lead rubs away and it shorts on the body work. Hope that helps.

Pavlos.
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: So my gemi nearly burned to a crisp. Reply with quote

the short wire with a clip on each end is a fusable link yes. If that's burnt then you will need to replace it. I read somewhere a few weeks back that there is a second fusable link somewhere, not sure where though.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: So my gemi nearly burned to a crisp. Reply with quote

yeah, mine did that the 1st drive. shorted the starter lead on the cross member
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: So my gemi nearly burned to a crisp. Reply with quote

my sisters battery lead fell on the extractors when it was getting a RWC and almost burnt!! haha and it still got the safety! hahahaha!! we almost burnt it again when we were oxying it seat back in ! ! oh well its all good still
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: So my gemi nearly burned to a crisp. Reply with quote

faark ive never heard of anything like that happenin before, glad it never happened to me!
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: So my gemi nearly burned to a crisp. Reply with quote

A mate parked his car at uni and went to class only to get a call from another mate about 15 mins later to say his car was on fire... A shitty neon shorted and burnt out the whole interior... Uni security guards had to smash the front windscreen with an extinguisher to put it out... it's finally back on the road after nearly a year of rebuilding the inside
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: