HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Slammed gems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue TG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Slammed gems Reply with quote

I own a tg gem (obviously) and i wanted to get it lowered.
I have heard stories about King Springs and the like, so i chose the pedders springs instead.
I like the gem to look a bit extreem, so naturally i wanted it slammed. I have 17 inch wheels and have rolled and lipped all the guards to the max.
So i drove the little gem down to pedders and asked about it.
To my surprise, they only make 2 ses of springs for all geminis: standard heavy duty and 50mm lowered. I scoffed at the idea of only going 50mm and walked out!! this gem is a ghetto sled in the making and 50mm was just not cool enough, I spoke to several outlets about king springs, and they only do 45mm! Even worse!
So out of curiosity, knowing that a tx was not radial tuned, I asked Pedders to see the specs on those springs as compared to a tg...
Turns out the tx superlows had the same rate as the tg superlows, except they were a 40m shorter spring.
I bought the tx springs along with the mandatory nolethane bushes and swaybars etc, and after putting them all in came the big test, i lowered the jacks and... Slam!!!!
Bigtime!!! The guards now sit at the top of the rims, no tire visible, filled out the guards nicely and they only just make full lock.
Im more than proud of my efforts, so i will get ya some pics soon!!

PS. i worked out that with 13's the crossmember will sit aprox 70mm from the ground.... i think
Blue TG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Slammed gems Reply with quote

Sorry bout the ramble! got a bit carried away! :s
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Slammed gems Reply with quote

umm, what story's about King Springs? they are good for the money man. Did you try Super Low King springs? They aren't in the catalogue, i have the order number for them if anyone wants it, you just have to go to king springs official suppliers. You can also get King Springs that are lower than the Super Low king springs, ask Fish(TxCoupe) about them, King Springs will make a lower then S/Low spring if they are ordered.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Slammed gems Reply with quote

So what is the ground clearance with your 17's??

I suppose you know that the minimum legal ground clearance is 100mm, so if a cop decides to take a look, its pretty easy to measure the cross member height, but usually, some exhausts hang lower, and are the fault of defects, even if cross member is at 100mm.

sounds good though.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Slammed gems Reply with quote

just go to a spring and susdpension shop and say :
"this is my car" *point* "i want in XXmm lower" they will make springs to lower your car .5mm if u want, costs about the same as the pedders and kings.
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Slammed gems Reply with quote

dont they have a wheel that they roll underneath the car, if it fits its all good?
Poida_again

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Slammed gems Reply with quote

They're cops...

We're all players in this game....

All they have to do is issue a defect notice if they feel it's not legal. If you argue with then they may even talk nicely about a 'hindering police in the execution of their duty' notice that will cost you a morning in court as well as the defect notice.

So, you have to go through the routine of having an inspection station check the car and remove the defect notice.

If the cop is feeling really generous he may even add the 'check incomplete' clause which then means you'll need to have the car fully inspected and get the inspector to issue a roadworthy certificate.
jpower
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Slammed gems Reply with quote

i was at a make-shift defect station one night in the city (sydney) and i saw them roll one of those little trundle wheels things under a fucken ferrari and defected him for being too low
CUNTS
HOTHOUSE GREEN GEMI
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Slammed gems Reply with quote

the cops can defect anything they belive unsafe etc.. etc .. I suppose it how the cops days been in the end
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Slammed gems Reply with quote

me mate got done down the coast but the wheel thingy. fuuny thing was that he got defected for to low on friday night, then i went down wit him saty night and the same cop spotted him and defected him again hahaha
sime
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Slammed gems Have U got Pics Blue TG? Reply with quote

Hey dude im interested in seeing some pics of your gem to see how low it is.

Cheers

Simon
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Slammed gems Reply with quote

See, I see it really funny that someone is so keen to get out and drive a car that's just been defected.... and want to do it again. Imagine how funny it will be once they actually impound the car! He may not be third time lucky.

The real problem he must face is his car is now marked and he's going to be defected a whole lot more in times to come.

I personally can't see why it's so important to scrape the guts of my car on the bitumen.

It's more of a fashion statement to some people. Like pink dresses this week. Next week it's blue jeans.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: