HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

cam sprocket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ginger pubes
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: cam sprocket Reply with quote

im about to change the timing of the cam by re-drilling the locating hole on the cam sprocket. i have already made up a jig similar to the front of the cam and dilled through the existing hole into the jig to ensure the right offset for the new locating hole. now all i have to do is turn the jig 180 degrees plus the right amount of degrees to drill a new hole. im turning it 180 first because if i were to just drill beside the existing hole, it would just make one big shit oval.

does anyone know what the best amount of degrees i should retard the timing to get best peformance at high revs? (4500-7000 rpm). aparently, 1 whole tooth is too much. i might remember someone telling me 5 degrees retarded, but is that off the crank or off the cam- because the cam spins half as fast as the crank. eg if i made it 5 off the crank, it would be 2.5 on the cam.

thanks, tim
van8u
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: cam sprocket Reply with quote

go buy yourself sum timing bushes for a geardrive from say a holden / chev etc .. they cum drilled 0 2 4 6 8 degrees & all you do is drill out your existing hole in the timing gear for the bush .. then you can slip in the bush & degree your cam with the simple bush.. very easy & quik..the amount of offset in the bush determines how much the cam can move either way on the pin giveing you the above degrees...
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: cam sprocket Reply with quote

Crow cam sell the whole timing kit which includes a 3 key way top sproket, new chain and new bottom sproket for $132. www.crowcams.com.au
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: