HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

twin carby vs efi on a twin cam motor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zedster
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: twin carby vs efi on a twin cam motor? Reply with quote

So can somebody tell me if the std dohc efi setup is shyte for a performance motor? Would carbies be better or would the webber style twin throttle bodies be better? I have a wolf 2d comp on an 1800 dohc at the moment. I feel it can go harder. Mind you it revs to 9000rpm already, but lacks the punch of twin carbies. Info anyone?
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: twin carby vs efi on a twin cam motor? Reply with quote

This guy http://plaza25.mbn.or.jp/~Nob_Tuji/ got about 165hp in race trim with twin 45's (I think).
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: twin carby vs efi on a twin cam motor? Reply with quote

That was made at 6500rpm with redline at 7900rpm.
GEMTEC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: twin carby vs efi on a twin cam motor? Reply with quote

damn it! i knew i shoud have paid attention in school in the japanese class Sad
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: twin carby vs efi on a twin cam motor? Reply with quote

http://world.altavista.com/ Use this, its still a bit hard to understand though.
GEMTEC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: twin carby vs efi on a twin cam motor? Reply with quote

carbys are crap! carbys are crap! carbys are crap! carbys are crap! carbys are crap! carbys are crap! carbys are crap! so therefore, i willing to buy them off you. im thinking that since im sucha nice guy, ill just take them off ya hands eh? i really need a pair Wink

PS. jokes mate, carbies are real good on power, but fuel economy is a different story. am i right guys or what?
GEMTEC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: twin carby vs efi on a twin cam motor? Reply with quote

oh yeah. works a treat. thanks mate
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: twin carby vs efi on a twin cam motor? Reply with quote

Carbies are alright but never match injectors for accuracy and power. Carbies can lean out to easily on 1 cylinder where as efi will shoot fuel straight into each pot.
The only reason people stick with carbies is simplicity and cost.
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: twin carby vs efi on a twin cam motor? Reply with quote

EFI is a lot better than carbies for both economy and power, if you feel that your EFI isn't going as hard as it should though, fit a bigger throttle body and port your manifold and get it retuned.
gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: twin carby vs efi on a twin cam motor? Reply with quote

If you intend on using the stock efi manifold forget it. You will not get enough air past the throttle body.I have a 2.0lt twin cam which made 120hp atw with stock manifold and Haltech. I used my quad 45mm throttle bodies and Autronic smc and the engine made 140hp atw. Twin 45mm webbers will make the same top end power as efi but with less drivability. I think 9000 rpm is a bit high! Are you sure your tacho is correct? MY race engine with forged pistons nitried crank and lots of other work is set to 8500rpm and the engine is rebuilt after 6 race meeting.The bearings are totally stuffed with these sort of revs. I have a twin webber manifold but I want to sell it with an engine.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: twin carby vs efi on a twin cam motor? Reply with quote

You will if you force it Wink
DOHC_TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: twin carby vs efi on a twin cam motor? Reply with quote

Hey Gem do you have any pics of your throttle body/manifold and how much did the throttle body cost, wat was it off??

If u hav any pics could u plz send em too monaro_man327@hotmail

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: