HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

engine runing on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadWagon
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: engine runing on Reply with quote

When I turn my car off when its hot it keeps running sometimes, whats with this, sometimes i have to stall it to stop it. its a new engine could it have any thing to do with this? any help would be good cheers
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: engine runing on Reply with quote

my mates did the same it was his the ingnition barrel in the steering colum
where you put your key
not sure what you call it

but it wasnt switching the engine off
MadWagon
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: engine runing on Reply with quote

nah it turns of but the crank keeps turning like theres still something firing in the engine it shits it self till it turns off kinda thing
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: engine runing on Reply with quote

oh ok
my mates also got a really worked head and webber some time he will turn it off but it will sorta fire a little afterwards but then die
i think its to do with teh mixtures

so does yous run for a little then die or actually keep running?
MadWagon
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: engine runing on Reply with quote

yeah it runs heaps quitly then sometimes quits but i usualy have time to stall it, its a tx head with stage 3 cam im not sure if this matters haha but it can get embarrising wen im down the bay or somethin and have to stall it.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: engine runing on Reply with quote

yeah his is a tx head with a stage 2 cam over sized valves
um im not sure
you could rig a switch to your fuel pump it will stop once you flick that and wait a few sec for the fuel to run out

do you have a kill switch if so what happens if you flick that???
MadWagon
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: engine runing on Reply with quote

nah dont have a kill switch, have to get one tho, there must be someone that knows the reason to this here haha i mite ring the bloke that reconditioned the head. cheers for ya help man.
HOTHOUSE GREEN GEMI
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: engine runing on Reply with quote

is it a te onwards ?
if it it it could be your soldion fucked i would give that a go no matter what monds you have
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: solution Reply with quote

I have this problem atm... It's caused by having my ignition advanced too much. I'm running it at 12degrees Before TDC and i'm not about to turn it back because then i'll loose my 38 degrees total advance. What I really need to do is to get my dizzy regraphed so that at idle my timing is much lower. In your case I dont know how much advance you are running but it could also have something to do with your idle speed? I just put the car in 2nd gear before I turn it off so the revs drop to about 600rpm and then switch then engine off... no problems but yeah it's gets to be a bit of a pain in the ass if someone else has to drive your car... so try turning your idle down or lean out your idle mixture a bit. I dunno if you have noticed but the stock nikki carbys have an electrical fuel soliniod that instanly stops the fuel from going into the intake manafold when you turn the engine off and 32/36 webers dont have this but I have a 34ADM weber with the soliniod. I hope some of that info helps you

Josh (WA)
HOP_A_LONG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible solution to this problem Reply with quote

This is called "dieselling". WHich os run on when your motor is hot. In a diesel motor there are no spark plugs (only glow plugs but they only get the motor started)they use the heat made by compression to ignite the fuel/air mixture. So when tou turn your motor off it can keep running on without any spark.

Gemini carburettors have an Idle stop solenoid just above the primary throttle assy. It looks like a barrel and has 2 screws holding it in, remove the screws but be careful not to bend the needle inside. Follow the wires to the plugs and disconnect. Now to test it hold the +ve on the +ve pole of the battery and tap the -ve on the -ve. The needle should move in and out.
If it doesnt, replace it. If it does, the problem is your idle mixture and speed incorrectly adjusted. Turn your idle speed till your idle is at cam specs and the nkeep turning it down until just before the engine changes pace again. Make your idle mixture as low as it can go before running shitty then add 1/2 a turn.

Hope this helped.
HOP-A-LONG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: