HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Welding a gemmi diff?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CopBait
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:47 am    Post subject: Welding a gemmi diff? Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever welded a gemini diff? if so what were the results, did the diff still operate properly? and what were the advantages of it, if any? Coz i was thinking of doing it to my TE, thought i had better check with u guys/girls first, thanks, cheers.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Welding a gemmi diff? Reply with quote

I welded the diff center in "Fish's" Gemini and it's still fine... I Used a high/low hydrogen elctrodes in a preheated 200 degree oven, I also preheated the diff center but took the crown gear and bearings off first... There is actually a right and a wrong way about welding it... If ya wanna know how the diff is going then ask dave (fish) in this web site, he seems to be more than happy with the 2 wheel action...
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Welding a gemmi diff? Reply with quote

There are three benefits.
1- more traction
2- two wheel burnouts
3- better drifting, it makes 4 a more predictable slide : )
CJ
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2001 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Welding a gemmi diff? Reply with quote

when you do weld it a hint is to remove the center pin buy burning/cuting it out after you have finished welding so that when you brake an axel (trust me you will)you remove both axel's as you normaly would and stick a long piece of dowll down the diff to knock the broken bit out.
a nouther hint is try not to drive slowlly around corners as this puts more stress on the axels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: