HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Leaking Gemma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrSHADOW
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 2:53 am    Post subject: Leaking Gemma Reply with quote

Hi there, anyone know how to stop a Gem from leaking water into the floor in the front on both sides ? It happens when it is parked and raining. I figure it might be the fan box not being sealed perhaps.

Any help much appreciated.
JFK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking Gemma Reply with quote

urethane or silicone
MrSHADOW
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking Gemma Reply with quote

yeah i plan to use silicon on it, i just need to figure out where I need to put it exactly.
Chase
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking Gemma Reply with quote

The seam between the sill panel (ie the one that the wipers protrude from) and the bottom of the front pillar leaks water. If you carefully cut a small v out of what ever fills this seam and replace it with silicon or similar, it should stop the leaks. It gets in through hair line fractures in this join.
Also, check that the two rear internal guard panel bolts have been put back in, in case some one has taken off the front guards and has not replaced them.
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking Gemma Reply with quote

probly leaking either from where the fan box comes thru the firewall, landing on the trans tunnel and running down both sides...

if its coming from the sides then its likely that its leaking down through the join in panels behind the accelerator and brake pedal..

hard to explain but you will understand what i mean i'm sure...

if you want some pics i might be able to dig some up, i backed up all the photos from the work on my old gem onto a CD and wouldn't you know the CD failed so i sorta lost them all Sad
Matthew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking Gemma Reply with quote

I would advise against putting silicone everywhere, it usually doesn't fix the leak. Plus some silicones apparantly promote rust.

Pull your carpets out and spend a day with a hose and a torch and track down where the water is coming from. That way you will know what you are trying to seal and you can check that it worked when you are finished.
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 2:50 am    Post subject: BEEN THERE Reply with quote

check the window seals, in the bottom corners. they will look fine, but ill bet anything that underneath the metal has rusted out. lift it with a screwdriver and where the two pannels meet will be a tiny crack thats where it was leaking in mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: