HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

emissions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 9:58 pm    Post subject: emissions Reply with quote

I should have asked this question before. Now that I have a set of Dellorto DHLA carby's for my mod. G161 am I going to be able to install them to meet emission requirements for a 78 Gem?
JFK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

simple answer nope requirements for adr27a means ur car must have an exhaust gas recirculation (egr) valve this adr came in on the 6 month 1976 therefore ur vehicle being built in 78 would not meet this requirement
if u want to dodge it for u u can just run a piece of piping from ur exhaust and make it look like it enters ur inlet manifold
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

I've seen EGR fitted to a twin IDA manifold, the guy was a machinist and he just made a plate to take the EGR valve. So it CAN be done...
JFK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

thats if u want it but why would any one want egr
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

If my memory serves me correctly, part of ADR27A says you cant change the number of carbies either so twins wont pass... Michael
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

My Gregorys TC-TD manual says EGR's were only fitted on automatics and my TD never had one since factory. Also in Qld it is legal to fit twins as long as you meet design rules.
JFK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

nah egr valves are fitted to every vehicle after 6/76
nar injected models
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

Sorry to say I have to disagree with you there. We've had the car since new and its never had an egr. I have it in black and white in the manual that they were only ever fitted to the automatics in the TC-TD series. RTFM Smile
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

Altho, I agree that everything that I've read about adr27a looks like it should apply to my car, the mystery of a 78 gem without egr from factory remains. As does the Gregory's reference to only on auto tc/td.

Anybody *seen* it on a manual tc/td in original condition?
JFK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

pffffft every car after 7/76 HAD to have egr no difference between autos and manuals are u sure ur car not a tx
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

Nope, it's a TD bought it new in 78. err well, mum did. It has the vacuum advance system with the black/red delay valve to the dizzy/Tpieces to the thermal vacuum switch on the inlet manifold (which I guess is the item that is missing on the lynx manifold)and that is that. No egr - just like the manual says. Go figure??
JFK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

hmmmm who nows maybe they used a tx manifold due to not having any stockies left
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

Cross post from aus.cars

Just spoke to Holden. Manual TC/TD (77-79) Gemini's had only vacuum advance
and coasting richer systems as emission systems - NO egr. Auto's did have
the egr.

How the f**k did Holden manage to do that legally, in contravention of
adr27a????

They're faxing me the specs so I've got it in B&W.

Cheers

Michael

BTW, I wonder how many poor buggers might have had their defected for this?
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

adr27a specified max levels of NOx, CO, HC (http://www.pc.gov.au/ic/inquiry/58automot/finalreport/appendix/j.pdf). It never mandated egr. If a car's emissions met these limits without an egr, it never needed one. Manual Gems of the 77-79 vintage were able to meet these emission requirements without egr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: