HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Grafting a te front to a tx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlasticAge
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:10 pm    Post subject: Grafting a te front to a tx Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has attempted grafting a TE front to a TX . If so , whats invloved and how hard a job is it?
Regards
PlasticAge
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Grafting a te front to a tx Reply with quote

It would involve unstitching the TX nose cone/undertray and welding/bolting on the later model. My TX received a front end upgrade after I hit a roo, but I only went as far as a TD front (radiator support and x-member improvements over TX)

It is a complicated and time consuming job for the uninitiated, therefore I can't recommend it Smile

Why anyone would want to do this (apart from being unique) I don't know. Putting the later model front on an older rear end would be like trying to graft the new beetle front onto the old beetle back (haha, two engines!!)

It ruins the shape and continuity of the old body style, and those that see the front first, are then disgusted at the rear which looks plain wrong. Side view of these beasts is not very good either.

Besides, IMHO the TE is not the best nose shape. My picks for best nose are:
TX: twin nostril mesh grille and round lights give a club racer look
TD: square lights and grid grille give a refined look
TF SL/X and TG SL/E (?): Miniature Commondore, but those flat headlights are smoooooth. The last Gemini that looked like one whole piece.

What is wrong with the TX front?
Take a squiz at my old beast:
http://www.hotgemini.com/cgi-bin/gallery2.cgi?action=sv&vid=161

Cheers Smile
PlasticAge
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Grafting a te front to a tx Reply with quote

The main reason, for doing it is i want to do it to a coupe.as the te didnt come out it a coupe..i thought it would look interesting, and the coupe which im going to purchase has front end dammage anyways...so i figure it would look quite different..there are some shots of coupe with the updated fronts in the race gemini area...basically to get it looking like that
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Grafting a te front to a tx Reply with quote

Ahhh, now a coupe is a different kettle of fish Smile
You have two options there:
1) Leave the TX style rear lights in
2) Go the whole hog and put a set of TE/TF/TG tail lights in like the ZZ/T, ZZ/R (?? whatever that Japanese coupe is called Smile

Yummy. The sedans look awful, the coupes have a squarish bum so that helps.
PlasticAge
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Grafting a te front to a tx Reply with quote

Yeah, the only drama is the wrap round back lights, because i think that will be a major pain to fit them in, unless u take the whole back section out of the car, and weld in a peice from that model......so all the light mounts etc fit...that ones a big job.....and a nasty one at that.....but i think it would be worth the effort tho
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Grafting a te front to a tx Reply with quote

For sure. I am thinking the best bet would be to cut the holes in the existing rear end, the sheet metal from the back of the TE won't fit, but you might be able to cut the section around the lenses and graft in.

The rear of the later model sedans might be slightly wider than the coupe rear.

Well worth the effort Smile
LOK15
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2001 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Grafting a te front to a tx Reply with quote

hey how ya goin! I got a TD SL/E coupe under the house at the moment that has had a rear end conversion done when i bought it and i have just done the front end conversion to a TF front.....
Its my 3rd early to late conversion and they look cool with both ends done.The radiator support panel is the same on the top between early & late but the bonnet safety catch faces the other way so be careful!!!
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2001 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Grafting a te front to a tx Reply with quote

If you do the conversion, don't forget to change both bumpers so the front matches the back ;o)

Why would you want to change a TX front? They already look the best!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: