HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

FUEL STARVATION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 3:17 am    Post subject: FUEL STARVATION Reply with quote

Ok hi guys.
Have a bit of a prob, the 2ltr in the gem is having starvation probs. I think anyway. Get to about 4 grand in 2nd and it just dies in the arse - literally. Clutch in and grab 3rd and it lags for a sec and it takes off again. then it does it 3rd at about 3 and a half grand. It sounds like starvation to me. What do u guys think? Is it true, as i beleive i've read it here b4, that the fuel pumps are only wired to an 8 volt feed? If so, if i run a direct 12 volt feed, would it burn out? By direct i mean off the ignition loom.

Any ideas. I guess i could throw in another fuel pump but at the moment funds are limited after paying for the motor. Try 4 grand all up.

Cheers
Adam
RJM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: FUEL STARVATION Reply with quote

Try wiring the fuel pump to power via a relay that is triggered the ingition loom (ie the input of the coil resistor), works for me.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: FUEL STARVATION Reply with quote

ever changed the fuel filter or use bigger fuel lines??
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FUEL STARVATION Reply with quote

fuel filter is 3 days opld, lines are 4 weeks old and i used 5/16 instead of 1/4 inch.
Turbo_Gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: FUEL STARVATION Reply with quote

try bypassing the fuel pump resistor in the relay box by the rh headlight, run a looped wire with 2 male spade connectors,easy to spot its the only resistor in there.. works very well..this trick should fix any fuel starve probs until u get goin quicker than 16 seconds..
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: FUEL STARVATION Reply with quote

wat about your fuel float?
if its not that than increase fuel psi.
Nick
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: FUEL STARVATION Reply with quote

5/16 lines instead of 1/4 inch. The larger fuel lines = what? less pressure. If you upgrade the fuel lines then you will need a fuel pump that pumps more.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: FUEL STARVATION Reply with quote

largewr fuel lines = more fuel per hr so yeah a bigger pump is the go
a carter that delivers 110 gph should be the go
and the lines arent that much bigger.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: FUEL STARVATION Reply with quote

Sounds like fuel starvation.

What carby are you running.

Yes the fuel pumps run on 7 volts but I have been running them on ful voltage for years with no problems. Smply find the power wire under the dash next to the glove box and hook it up to ignition power.

May not fix your problem though if your needle and seat is too small, or some other problem.

Ben Wight
evilbb
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: FUEL STARVATION Reply with quote

if your fuel mix is up the shit, u would hear a rattel coming from the carbi. try looking at the wireing in the dizzey or change the air cleaner.
Tooleeda
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: FUEL STARVATION Reply with quote

Just had a late thought about this one.
Could it be your ignition system? Check everything thouroughly especially if you still have points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: