HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

speakers in front doors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaan_kaant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: speakers in front doors Reply with quote

g'day everybody. im looking to buy some speakers for my gemini, but when i was down at the car audio shop, the bloke was saying how almost all of the speakers (6.5" splits) would not fit into the front doors of the car due to the windows winding down. they would need to be put onto a dirty great big pod, which would be pretty costly and stick way far out. i was unaware of this, as i had seen geminis with the speakers in the doors in the past. does anybody know from experience if this is actually true? or are fairly deep speakers able to be fit quite easily on only a small pod???? thanks!
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: speakers in front doors Reply with quote

yea, u have to be careful wit the speaker's mounting depth, i got 4 pioneer tsa1655's in each door, wit no pod bullshit- front and back (they're 6" 2 ways - 3 ways wouldn't fix coz mounting depth was 57mm), and the windows wind down fine. u have to look at the speaker mounting depth, mine were 44mm, and fit, i think u can still take the depth to just under 50mm. also take into consideration that the actual wood cover thing on the door giv's u another few mm's. oh, and i had to do a shit load of work wit the angle grinder, just so the magnet + screws would fit in the door, but is all good now.

Chris.
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: speakers in front doors Reply with quote

another good way to mount them is to make up some mounting plates from sheet metal which match the speaker exactly.. ie cut out a holt to match the mounts of the speakers and then weld/rivet/screw those plates onto the available sheet metal on the door

my gem came with these already like that from the factory but i made new ones to accomodate the 5 inchers i have in there now

they have a realy shallow mounting depth, unfortunately a nice big chunky magnet that will give you good midbass up from the front will not usually fit and will require pods..

i put my chunky speakers in the kick panels instead, sounds nice.
kaan_kaant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: speakers in front doors Reply with quote

the speaker mounting depth is 60mm, does this mean that they would only need a relatively small pod? or would it need to stick out a far bit? also, what is the deal with kick panel mounting? would this be a good idea for the 6.5" splits and would they fit?? thanks for your help.
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: speakers in front doors Reply with quote

I used to have a pair of polk 6.5" in the front doors which fit fine. I then put in a set of splits but they were too deep so i cut out a ring of 18mm MDF wood, shaped it a bit to give it a nice smooth edge and slid it in between the vinyl and the wood in the door trim and screwed it into the metal in the door. It came up pretty well, and sounds good, just rattles the hell out of the door handles.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: speakers in front doors Reply with quote

well i got a pair of jbl 5 and 1/4 2 way spaekers in my front doors i spent about 4 house putting them in because i got them in i had the windows wound dow but when you wind them back up another bar swings accross and hits the magnets in the end i made rings from wood also but i have it from the vinal to the speaker and my handles also rattle to fuck how can you stop this?
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: speakers in front doors Reply with quote

take them off? Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: