HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Sump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stoktg
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Sump Reply with quote

Has anyone successfully managed to take the sump off an engine without completley removing the engine from the gemini first? If so did you have to unbolt much more than the engine mounts?
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sump Reply with quote

never thought of doing that; but i think itd be a bit of a mission...
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sump Reply with quote

I have Smile and its faster to pull the engine out ;-(
Stoktg
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: Sumps suck Reply with quote

Err, thanks for that slug, would have been helpful to know that yesterday.

In answer to my own question ‘is it possible to change the sump with out pulling the engine out of the car’ short answer ‘No’, Long answer ‘Just pull the fucking motor out’.

I have been playing with geminis for a few years and I must say that this was the biggest C@#T of a job I have done. Probably because I started out wsith the expectation that it would be easy and probably take less than an hour. Someone emailed me a thing saying it was possible if you just jack the engine up a few inches, so I took off the engine mounts and jacked it up but there was not enough room to get the sump off. I took off the steering rack to give me a little more clearance, still not enough. I dropped the front sway bar for a little more room to move but still needed more. Took off the engine/gearbox braces to help move the sump about all without success. Ended up getting an engine crane (thanks fastgem, you were right) lifted the engine up a little further but sump was still stuck on the cross member. Took off the rocker cover and gearbox mount to lift it a little higher then took the radiator out to aid my quest but still failing miserably. Dropped the tail shaft and a shit load of oil, took the centre console out and removed gearstick, ripped off a bunch of hoses and wiring so I could have the engine hanging half way out of the car. Then and only then could I remove the sump but still had difficulties getting it past the oil pickup without damaging it. Absolute piece of shit of a job. Would have been much quicker to pull everything out all at once in the first place rather than bit by bit, alas I did not have that information at the time.
More than a mission Woz, a nightmare. Been a bitch of a day (well, 2 days actually) all just to get a sump on the car with an oil return line for a turbo.
Going to the pub and getting smashed.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sumps suck Reply with quote

Yeah, should have just yanked it out!

Depending on how high your turbo is though, it would be possible to plumb it back into the timing cover though, but with the piazza manifold, the sump is the only option.

Ben Wight
Stoktg
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 5:18 am    Post subject: Your bloody fault!!! Reply with quote

I would have just yanked it out if you had not have said and i quote:

"If not wishing to pull the engine out of the car to remove the sump, it would be possible to undo the engine mounts and jack the engine up enough for the front bowl of the sump to clear the cross member, so the bolts could be removed and the sump removed. This may also require dropping of the steering rack, but this is only 4 bolts though."

What a load of shit!
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sumps suck Reply with quote

Ha! told you so! stubborn bastard Smile when did you want to have that race?
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Your bloody fault!!! Reply with quote

I said it was possible only because a mate got it done that way, I've never done it myself, and I personally wouldn't want to try it. It doesn't take much at all to pull the engine out, but a lot of people are intimidated by the thought of pulling out an engine just to muck around with the sump.

Maybe he had the rocker cover off at the time for a bit more clearance.

Also, the G200 block is a bit taller than the 1600, which would not be helping at all. That probably makes all the difference.

Ben Wight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: