HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Wheels
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuff187
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Wheels Reply with quote

I was told that lancer's have the same stud patten as a Gemini so i tryed 2 put my mum's standards of her lancer on my gem but the wheel hub on the gem is 2 big so i was just wondering if mag wheels of a lancer would fit?? and i was also wondering how much difference the offset is?? and how does this affect it??
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

nearly all front wheel drive cars have the right ofset for a gemini. yes the mags wil fit cos the hub holes are way biger on the mags than a stock-o rim
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

i got 14" BMW rims, the interceptor ones, and one of the wheels sometimes doesn't want 2 come off, it sorta get's stuck on the hub sthing that sticks out, but oh well. few wacks from behind and it's off.

chris.
Ful51k
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

Yeah, I recently put a set of alloys from a Hyundai Accent on my gem and found that the centre of the hub was to big, so I just got out the trusty powerfile and filed off on an angle the centre of the rim from behind. Works good and nobody would ever know.
greg j
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

i've got 15"x6.5" lancer mags on my car. try the wreckers for a set. lancer wheels have the same offset as late model astra rims, (the non-abs model) so you could try them too if u want. i don't lose any turning circle, or have any troubles whatsoever with mine b.t.w.
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

Most if not all front wheel drive cars have a different offset to the gemini
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

Glad someone knows the difference between 'will fit' and 'the same'!!!
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

Same difference between 'dodgy and dangerous' and 'sensible and useable' Wink

Makes me wonder about people putting Camira SL/X wheels on Geminis. There are about 3 getting around my area and every one of them looks like they are going to fall over thanx to the reduced track (too much offset). It can't be good for handling.
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

Yeah those camira rims don't fit right anyway! The centre has to be ground out a bit to fit over the hub. Then all of the weight is on the studs and SNAP. If you want rims just save your dollars. If not, atleast get private health insurance and lose your conscience. You'll need it when your wheels fall off and you wipe some poor kid out waiting for his school bus.

Most wheel and tyre places offer 12 months interest free with no deposit. I'm sure you can get 1000 bucks or so together in a year. Especially when you'd pay a couple of hundred for some stock alloys off of a car with a different emblem in the centre anyway.

It's your call.
Cheers
Adam
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: WHAT EVER MATE Reply with quote

my brother is sposered by bob jane and i would think they know what there talking about u shiner
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

Mine BMW rims do that too, but only since I got 'em powder coated.

Yep, some whacks with a mallet help, although when I was having troubles with the front tyres at Mallala, I had to boot them off, and I only had a jack to work with - I don't suggest that method unless you've got wheelstands, but thankfully the Breader stayed off the ground and I still have two legs to walk on!

Interceptor rims!!! How quaintly 'Eastern States'!!! I'm not paying you out by the way - it's just a term that doesn't get used here. In Adelaide, basically all Commodore cop cars from the VL-onwards have used the interceptor rims, regardless of interceptor/chaser status. It probably helps that Commodores outnumber Falcon police cars by at least 30:1 here too.

So the name is generally cop stocks here; because that's what the cops use!

But regardless of name, they look cool on a Commodore and are a great substitute for mags - they shit on stocky stockies!

As for Geminis, they loo great on them too! Better than the Camira rims Sad
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

Holden made the 15" rims to fit over the larger disc rotors that were fitted to V8 & Turbo VL's. The police didn't want to be forking out the national debt on hubcaps for their pursuit cars (hard cornering's a bitch on caps). So they left them off and put on the centre caps off the VB-VH leaving the rims exposed. Made those bright yellow cop cars easy to spot.

Have to be wary of BMW rims though. BMW's rely on the centre of the rim being a tight fit to the hub for strength. Gemini's rely on the wheel studs. For those that are a loose fit, particularly on the rear, keep an eye on the wheels for signs of fractures around the stud holes and keep your wheel nuts tight!
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

As with all VL V8s and turbos, the cop cars were fitted with FE2 suspension as standard - which included 15" rims. I'm sure they didn't want to fork out for wheelcovers as you said - I guess both for savings and for the fact they can fly off. I imagine they were supplied from Holden with those rims, with the hubcaps.

I've seen VT Police cars going down the production line at Elizabeth, and they make so many of them, "Police" is actually listed as one of the models! Not for the public of course, but all cars have a sheet of paper that says Executive, Berlina, SS, Clubsport, Police, etc etc.

SA Police have been ordering FE2 suspension since it came out, although not with V8s or turbos - well, not on most. So that explains why the cops here have had cop stocks for as long as I can remember!

I remember when the VP came out - they were so fucking low on FE2, they could have defected themselves!

I had a mate try to tell me once that the cops spray painted the wheels silver themselves, because he bought a set of brand new cop stocks from Holden and they were black, so he had to paint them. He's an idiot. They're fitted exactly as you see 'em from the factory.

Thanks for the advice on the BMW rims - geez, if it's not one thing it's another, eh? Camira rims are gay because they're poxxy and have the wrong offset, and now BMW rims are dastardly as well.

I got the Breader up to 185kph the other day - I'm not shitting you guys, but I won't lie - it WAS downhill. Scarey, but the thing tracked straight and true... and the wheels didn't fly off, thankfully.

I'll never go that fast again in a Gemini, but it was an awesome rush to see the speedo clocked about 5kph PAST the last reading... my heart was PUMPING HARD!!!

Don't do this at home....
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

Not wanting to scare anyone with the BMW rims, haven't seen it happen yet, but just keep an eye on it.

I think from VN's 15's were optioned on all cars with FE2. Cop cars also from this model had "BT1" on the ID plate as far as I can remember. I think it depends on whether the car was to have hubcaps whether they were painted or not, VG utes came with Silver 15's. Mind you those 15's are still used today on VX's.
Interesting point though, standard C'dore rims are 43P offset, VG utes came with 35P offset while the IRS VQ Statey came with 26P offset but VP IRS onwards went back to std offset.

I've sat in a turbo TC coupe @ 180kph. Makes 60 seem like you're going backwards when you slow down.
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

I know I'm now being picky, because you know a shitload more than me about the offsets and stuff but:

I'm fairly certain VLs with FE2 came standard with 15s (with VL turbo/VN S-pack wheel covers)

Also, I have seen base-model VG & VP utes with 14" steelies, similar to the VL steely, but in silver, with the Commodore hub cap in the centre. The VG & VP S-packs came with the 15" cop stocks.

I've only seen a few with the 14"s, but both the VN and VP sedans came with 14" steelies (with covers) stock, so it stands to reason that the utes suffered the indignity of them as well, albeit with hupcaps, not wheel covers.

God, I'm full of useless shit! Wish I knew how to fucking fix cars, rather than crap on about their wheelcovers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: