HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

tyres

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viper gemini
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: tyres Reply with quote

ive currently got 165 tyres and 13inch rims and i was wondering how wide i can go legally on the standed 13inch without causing to much wear to the centre of the tyre.
cheers
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: tyres Reply with quote

depends on how wide the rim is, if its the stock 5 inch ones stay wth the 165-175, if its a 6-7 inch wide mag u could go to 215's i guess. a mate of mine has 205's on a 6 inch rim
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: tyres Reply with quote

I agree with Gene on staying with 165-175 or even as high as 185/65-13 on your standard 5" rims.
Too big a tyre on too small a rim will give you handling problems as the bigger the tyre bulge, the more the tyre tries to roll off the rim going around corners, although the higher you pump the tyres up, the less this happens.
Wearing the tyres on the centre is more of an inflation problem than tyre size. Inflating the tyres too high will cause premature tyre wear in the centre of the tyre.
Most tyre places will tell you the maximum "legal" tyre width for what rim size.
Hope this helps.
Viper gemini
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: tyres Reply with quote

thanks for the info it will come in handy in the not to distant future
cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: