HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

speakers speakers???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IMDGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: speakers speakers??? Reply with quote

in curently puting 2gether my stereo 4 my station wagon and i was wondering how 2 go about puting speakers in the doorsne help would be great it will be a all kenwood install so far ive got 320w 7x10s in custom boxes
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: speakers speakers??? Reply with quote

rip off ya door trim and have a look at the mounting points

i think im gonna write a workshop article on this...

i'll be installing some new 6 inchers in the doors of my gem so i'll take some photos might help everyone cause i see this question alot!

cheers
martin
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: speakers speakers??? Reply with quote

This is what i did. Fibre glass, MDF and body filler. They are angled at about 30 degress up and toward each passenger. So they face you.
http://www.geocities.com/mygemi/gallery2.html
(the middle pic)

Cheers
Adam
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: speakers in the doors Reply with quote

looks mad, i got a tg, wit pioneer 6" tsa1655's, and i just cut some holes in the doors, some holes in the metal behind the door cover thing so the magnet would fit tru the door, and wacked em im, but u have 2 be carfull wit the depth, i got 44mm mounting depth, i wanted 3 ways, but they were 57mm, and wouldn't fit, u have to also look for the window mechanisms when the windows come down, and the window winder, when i turns so it don't rip ure speaker off, and also in the back doors, u take out the cig ash trays, and wack the speakers there.

chris.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: speakers in the doors Reply with quote

HEHEH my mate lernt that the hard way. put some 3 ways in his VK and then went to put the window down and it now only goes down 1/2 way
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: speakers in the doors Reply with quote

yea. this guy called vlad had the same prob, just when he wind his windows down, the spkr just falls out on2 the floor, ehehe.

chris.
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: speakers in the doors Reply with quote

My first van, long before I owned it, had the speakers fitted towards the trailing edge of the doors, rather than towards the front near your feet.

Probably not good for sound, but what's worse was the fact that the momentum caused by opening and closing the doors had caused the speakers to pull the trim off.

The speakers were gone by the time I bought the car, but even then the trim was screwed and flew off on the trailing edge.

So don't put them there, or all you'll end up with is stuffed trim which is only good for smuggling beers into the Falls Festival.

Cheers,

Dave
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: speakers in the doors Reply with quote

Stereo fitter where I work had a TE wagon for a couple of weeks, made up some 12mm MDF panels to replace the trims in the rear passengers section, fitted Pioneer 6X9's with heaps of room to spare. 7X10's should go in no probs.
Angled door pods, either bought or make your own, are the way to go for the front. Less protrusion into the door cavity to hit the window. (Keep some Bandaids handy for your knuckles but!) One suggestion, if your original door trims are any good, duplicate them in MDF and then cut holes or mount the pods in those, that way if you ever sell the car, you can remove the stereo gear without all the speaker holes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: