HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Alternator Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sime
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: Alternator Upgrade Reply with quote

Hey all,

Im looking to upgrade my alternator to something more powerfull the Mitsubishi 55 - 80amp alternator seems like a good upgrade but maybe a 100amp or 120amp bosche alternator would work better? Also there is supposed to be a constant 7v output on the standard gemini alternators which is used to run the fuel pump so i need an alternator which needs this. Could also someone recomend a top auto elec in melbourne that coul perform my alternator upgrade, or I may do it myself depending on how difficult it is.

Cheers

Simon
EVLJT
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Upgrade Reply with quote

I used an ea falcon alternator on mine, all you have to do is mount it, change the pully, bridge the pins which power the fuel pump and change the globe in the dash, otherwise it will stay on when the car is running. Current Auto Elec's in Mentone ph 95852444. Good Luck Mine power a stereo, aftermarket computer efi pump's etc not a problem.
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Upgrade Reply with quote

can you give more detail on the pump connection bridging & the globe? why was this done?
sime
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Upgrade (EVLJT) Reply with quote

Hey EVLJT,

Thanks for the info and contact phone number. Could you please explain the pin outs on the Gemini Alternator and the pin outs on the ea falcon alternator so I know which wires to cut and join. Also whats the output of the EA Falcon alternator?

Cheers

Simon
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Upgrade Reply with quote

I thought the 7 volt output was from the box that does voltage regulation on the passenger side insde front guard.

I have never really checked though,
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: resistor Reply with quote

The resistor that steps the voltage down from 12v to 7v is in the relay box by the washer bottle. It's the only resistor in there. I just bypassed mine last week and it seems to have solved my fuel starvation probs. Just got to get a back up pump incase i burn this one out!

Adam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: