HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Dumb sheep lovers....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Dumb sheep lovers.... Reply with quote

Here's a peice from the NZ Silvia club's website -

Most people will automatically say that an intercooler upgrade is only for a turboed car, this is not however completely true. People have seen increases in performance by piping an intercooler straight into the throttle body of an N/A. Now I'm not saying that this is the way to go as I haven't seen the proof, but it sounds valid.

What an idiot.
Intercoolers are for cooling hot air down to ambient temperature.
You can't cool ambient temperature any further with an intercooler. (IE - on a N/A engine), in fact it would decrease power. All I can deduce is that New Zealanders are idjits Smile
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb sheep lovers.... Reply with quote

...hmm...

the theory of intercoolers is that the air inside is hotter than the air outside. this is due to heat from the turbo and the fact that its compressed (higher density -> hotter).

if, for instance, you had a kickass rampod built on the front of your lowered silvia, in theory the air would be being slightly compressed, therefore being slightly hotter than outside air. and the intercooler would theoretically be cooling the air.

but just to point out that for the price of an intercooler and the fact that the performance gain of such a setup would be completely jack shit, it would be more cost-effective and performance-enhancing to wind up your windows while accelerating to decrease wind resistance Smile
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb sheep lovers.... Reply with quote

And the extra power could only be 'felt' at high enough speeds.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb sheep lovers.... Reply with quote

Not that I dont agree with you, however water to air intercoolers can cool below ambient temps. I think rotormaster (or one of the big rotar places) had the air coming out of the cooler at about 10deg. Regardless of the ambient temp. Even did it on a 30deg day!! Thats some pretty good cooling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: