HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Worked Nikki Carb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaTT
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Worked Nikki Carb Reply with quote

anyone no how to or has worked a nikki carb
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Worked Nikki Carb Reply with quote

yeah, the first thing you have to do to fix a carby problem is take the nippon kikaki carb off the car. Once its removed you will then need to place it somewhere, preferably a rubbish bin. Next bolt on a weber carb or two, get it tuned and then you will be happy.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Worked Nikki Carb Reply with quote

Now now... whilst the weber may be the easiest route the end result is not necessarily any better than a niki, carbys are only there to control airflow and meter out fuel (badly)... The gemini series guys run a larger niki off the rodeo don't they?
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Worked Nikki Carb Reply with quote

Yeah, ease off the Nikki!!
Not sure that the Rodeo or Jackeroo carbies are any different other than jetting. Read an article in Fast Fours from years ago, when they were still featuring at least one or two Geminis per issue (now im showing my age), called "low buck and looking legal". They modified the throats by machining them out on a milling machine so that they allowed more air through. Bigger jets allow more fuel, and hey presto, more air + more fuel = more power.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Worked Nikki Carb Reply with quote

I had been thinking about this process, and with the Nikki carb in particular having a one piece throat and choke, how would one be able to machine out the curve of the air choke, to keep a similar profile.

I spose it can be done and then rejetted accordingly, but the only benefit of this procedure would be to keep the carb looking original for legallity/insurance reasons. Even a bigger choke is not going to help much, for a mild engine it would help, but in my opinion, from the power gained from bolting on a 32/36 DGV on a stock 1600, the nikki carbs must be quite restrictive. Plust the tnability benefits of a weber must be taken into considereation.

Ben Wight
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Worked Nikki Carb Reply with quote

hmm i remember about 10 yrs ago fast fours did a gemini engine. Thery wwere after 140hp with out any head porting. they used big cams and match porting, full mechnical dizzy and a nikki carbi modified by sams performance and a 32/36 dgv. In the end the weber made 5hp more the nikki and they did this for $2000
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Worked Nikki Carb Reply with quote

Vaguely remember the article. They rebuilt an engine on a budget to try an achieve a particular horsepower figure. The one I was talking about was, as the article title suggests, to keep under-bonnet looking stock. Four Plus Performance did some minor modifications to a standard car to see what they could get. Dissy re-curve, Mild camshaft, Carby mods, (doesn't say in the article whether they machined the throats in a mill or just patiently used a die grinder, but the photos show a 10c piece that normally wouldn't go through the smaller barrel, fitting with room to spare.) and even new, good quality leads, took the stock motor from 47kw (63hp), to 52kw (69hp). Now I know these aren't anything to write home about, and I too have gained the benefits from fitting the 32/36 Weber, but it does show that there are gains to be had from the stock Nikki.
I guess it comes down to three things; 1:- your budget, I don't know the cost of machining the stock carby, 2:- the laws in your state, most coppers can spot a carby change a mile away, whether they do anything about it is another matter, and 3:- your own requirements. Some forms of club racing require a car that is running in standard class to have the original manufacturers fuel delivery system, ie: Nikki carby on a Gem!
**now where' s my die grinder?**
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Worked Nikki Carb Reply with quote

hey racegem wat urs icq number?
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Worked Nikki Carb Reply with quote

I'll mail ya.
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Worked Nikki Carb Reply with quote

Die Grinder.. Mills ... you guys are scarring the shit out of me ... Michael
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Worked Nikki Carb Reply with quote

Yeah I know....alot of work for not much gain.
FrAsErTaG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Worked Nikki Carb Reply with quote

I dunno about otherstates
but in the ACT all u have to have is the 3pipes that run into ur airfilter hooked up to an airfilter..
To be legal thats the law here
I know some1 that had a 390CFM holly and used a nice Chrome filter that allowed all those attachments and it passed rego no worrys mayte
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: