HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Severe problem!!! help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Severe problem!!! help Reply with quote

ok here it is when i take off reasonably hard i hear a big clunk from the back seat region and under neathe the car behind the gear box about half way up the car there is oil all over the bottem of the car. its where the drive shaft has the joing righ after the gear box could any one tell me what is wrong with it? could my gear box and diff be stuffed
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe problem!!! help Reply with quote

1, Tailshaft bolts are loose.
2, Gearbox bad backlash,
3, diff centre pin is floating and titting the pinion ( loud bang when you lift off the gas of the car is coasting along,
4, backlash in diff,

jack up one back wheel and use it to turn your drive train leave the car out of gear, listen and feel for noise, tight spots turning the wheel in both directions, then put it in gear and measure the amout of turn until it takes up the load in both directions,

Sounds like number 3 to me, if you have been doing lots of skids, this happens often to me, there is a little pin in the diff that breaks and frees the shaft that holds the spidergears and this big shaft pin can float out into the path of the pinion and the impact and damages both, and can lock your rear wheels at speed, not very handy..

dif cost anything from $50 - $100 for basic secondand units,

cheers
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe problem!!! help Reply with quote

ignore the above, I though it didn't post a message earlier below,
anyway your problem sounds like the rear gearbox oil seal about $10 and an easy changeover,
cheers
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe problem!!! help Reply with quote

Check the bolts joining the torque tube with the diff as well. If these are loose a clunking sound appears no thanx to the diff housing and tube flappin about.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe problem!!! help Reply with quote

well what happens i'm at the lights stoped when i take off if i take off fast it some times bangs it sounds like somthing hitting the metal under the seats. would it be worth going to a repair place and getting a quote
it dosn't happen when driving along just from stand still
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe problem!!! help Reply with quote

Man...sounds like your tailshaft bolts.

Jack up your car or one side and have a look.
had the same problem with a previous car and it fucked the car for the night until i got a free tow....THANKS MALCOLM!!

just check your bolts man.
thats it.

hotdog
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe problem!!! help Reply with quote

i know this will make me sound dumb but which bolts
the croos member bolts?????? $50 bucks is that steep for a new rear gear box seal intalled and new oil put in?
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe problem!!! help Reply with quote

if they are doing it drive in and out I would have accept it's about fair, there wouldn't be much more work than 1/2hr if all goes well,
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: universal joints Reply with quote

do you think it could be my universal joints
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: universal joints Reply with quote

Stuffed uni's would normally cause a bad vibration at speed, depending on how bad they were. Easy to check, get underneath, car on ramps or stands (NEVER ON JACK ALONE), grab the tailshaft in one hand, and the yolk (bit sticking out the back of the gearbox) in the other, and twist. Any movement?...change 'em!
Another thing to check. The joint between the tailshaft and torque tube (inside the cross-member) houses a bearing, rubber cushions, retainers, etc. The cross-member itself also is supported by rubber. If any of these are worn or broken, that will cause the noise you're describing, particularly on take-off. Common problem with the centre bearing in the two piece tailshaft on a Commodore.
Tooleeda
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Severe problem!!! help Reply with quote

I dint read all the posts so someone may have said it already:
Sounds like the rubber bit inside the end of the torque tube. Tends to split and make shocking noises especially on take off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: