HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Wider tyres with what rims?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Wider tyres with what rims? Reply with quote

I obviously have a TX (The user-name says it all) and am looking to fit 205's on the rear and 195's on the front. I am currently running the stock rims with 165's all round. Now my question is - what is the easiest & non-bodgy way to fit my wanted tyre combo ? Is there a set of rims from another Gem that will fit with no dramas from my local wrecker? or do i have 2 get my current ones widened by a fitter & turner. i hear of thousands of Gems being run with 205's all round so theoretically it cant be all that hard - but i do want to keep the rims stock looking as that's the look i want. Please help as i'm shredding the cheese-cutters at a phenominal rate with every burnout and bit of hard sideways action that i do. P.S If at all, i'd also like to step up to 14" rims - but it's not mandatory right now.
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Wider tyres with what rims? Reply with quote

Getting stocky rims widened can be an expensive exercise these days (Adelaide Wheel and Rim Works charge about $110/rim), but the results are killer - classic killer, I reckon.

A TX with 6" or 6.5" wide stock rims, finished off with TX Gemini base-model hubcaps (rather than the full-wheel covers) looks really good.

I have put 205s on my 14"x5.5" BMW rims without a drama, although Adam on this forum is in the know and reckons that the 205 is too wide for the rim. It looks pretty killer though, and I didn't notice any difference in handling over 195s, which are more sensible for the rim width.

Back when Geminis came out, there weren't really any other cars on the market using 4x100mm stud patter, except the 4-cylinder HB-LC-LJ Toranas, and they ran 12" rims!!!

So your options are to widen the stock rims or go up one size and get a set of 14" rims - eg BMW or Camira (which are shit, I believe)
Tooleeda
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wider tyres with what rims? Reply with quote

Stocky TX rims (4.5" wide) are good for about 165/175 sized tyres. Later models went to 5" wide and will happily seat 185's but no more. I knew a guy who jammed 205's on some stocky rims, it looked okay but handling was as sloppy as hell.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wider tyres with what rims? Reply with quote

Ever get that feeling of deja vu. ("tyres" posts, end of last month)

Let your fingers do the walking. Here in Melb., a company called Eastern Wheel Works, in Bayswater, quoted me less than $90 a rim to widen some stock rims. But still, $360 is a lot to spend on stock rims.

Saw a green TX sedan some time ago down here that had done what you're planning. Looked like a lowered stocky from the side, complete with hubcaps, TD I think, but from the rear....tough as! 7's with 205/60 13
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wider tyres with what rims? Reply with quote

put bmw or the new pulsar stock rims on there about 6-7" and will a 215 easy. my mat has 6 inch rims with 205's and not a problem in the world
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: gold tx sleeper Reply with quote

if your in brisbane i've got a set of four 13"x7" polished alloy mags for sale, which currently have 205/60 tyres on them. to be roadworthy u'd have to replace two tyres, so u could go 195's safely. i'm chasing $150, but am negotiable to some extent.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: gold tx sleeper Reply with quote

Do they look look like stock 'chaser' rims? If so, I'd definately be interested in them... I'm on the Gold Coast, so Brissy wont be a prob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: