HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

colour matching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEM2NV
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: colour matching Reply with quote

where abouts can you get your paint colour matched and put into spraycans? i got a metallic green colour like the first one in the modified gallery and i have some rust coming through the bottom of the door. if i get out the rust and bog it up will the spraycan paint do a good job? i would get it done by a panel beater properly but the funds are a bit low at the moment.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: colour matching Reply with quote

If it's not a custom color (which it probably is) then any reputable paint place will have color coded books to flick through for a match. Otherwise, some places have a digital computer scanner that can scan a sample of the color (i.e your fuel filler flap/cover).Take a sample in to get scanned on the machine and go from there...
Otherwise try to get some history on the car to trace who sprayed it and what color it was.
Jasyn.
greg j
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: colour matching Reply with quote

if its a production colour, i'm pretty sure the code for that paint would be on one of the plates under the bonnet. then all you'd have to do would be quote that number. i did that a few years ago, so i don't remember what the code looks like, or which plate its found on.
GEM2NV
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: colour matching Reply with quote

its a light metallic green. if i get it in a pressure pack how good will the end result be?? will it stand out?
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: colour matching Reply with quote

It may be a good idea to get a pro to do it, they have more experience at matching faded or unusual paint. A simple cut and polish and wax sometime works, but it depends on the condition of the original paint.
Jasyn.
GEM2NV
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: colour matching Reply with quote

well im gonna use the paint can to cover up a small area of bog not faded paint or anything that extreme. ill it stay on well?
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: colour matching Reply with quote

Sorry to butt in guys.
Your vehicle I.D. tag should be located on the radiator support panel. It has numbers on it regarding engine, transmission and rear axle options as well as paint and trim codes. Usually older holdens had eight numbers for their paint code. The first three refer to the type of paint, the following five, to the shade or colour. You don't say where you are so I can't help you with where to go but if you're not after a perfect match then a spray can, applied properly, will certainly do the job. Preparation is the key to a good finish, and don't just paint the spot you bog, you have to blend the top coat, over the undercoat, out to about three times the size of the repair. Let it cure for a few weeks then cut it back with a good cutting compound. If your colour's a good match, and you take your time, you may not tell it's even been damaged.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: