HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

i nead a few cheap tips???????????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
face reality

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: i nead a few cheap tips??????????? Reply with quote

i am on a limited budget of a great big $100. i am trying to get my gem looking somewhat decent, if u can i would appreciate some tips on cheap ways and ideas for me to look at of getting my gem to a decent looking standard on a very very low budget, please provide me with ideas of what i can do with 100 bucks besides what i have looked at in the workshop part of this site. please, please, please, please help.

thanks all.........................................................
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: i nead a few cheap tips??????????? Reply with quote

Get it professionally detailed?\0
Twisted_torque
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: i nead a few cheap tips??????????? Reply with quote

I would suggest the first thing you need to buy is cutting compound. Cutting the paint if it is still average condition will give it a great facelift. Costs bout $15 for the tin. Black your tyres with tyreblack .. costs bout $2-10 depending on brand (buy tin of paint on stuff not spray). For bout $10 you can buy a spray can of liquid chrome.. if u clean up your grill well and coat with undercoat this ctuff can bring it up pretty nice. A set of seat covers that look alright and sports pedals can be bought for bout $60 all up.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: i nead a few cheap tips??????????? Reply with quote

Talk about being on a low budget, dude !! The only suggetions i could make if you are after looks and not too worried about mechanical are - de-badge the thing, fill the holes left from the badges, get a color matched pressure pack spray paint to respray any areas where paint has been peeled from doing this. Remove any side rubber strips and door lock decal looking things that may be put there from the factory - warning: be patient and take your time doing this as it too can peel the paint if you're not careful. Carefully remove any excess sticky crap from body by gently rubbing it off with a paddle-pop stick. Wash the dirty bitch, give it a cut and polish then a decent wax - put the effort in to do the job properly. Give the grille a new coat of paint. Maybe get hold of some high temp or brake paint (or just use the left over body paint if you're a tight ass) and give your calipers and/or drums a squirt to match the body color, if your body is two tone then do the brakes the same color as the lower half of the body. Use some tyre shine for the tyres. Armourall the dash. Have a look around the wreckers for a decent looking chrome exhaust tip of your taste.
I'd tell you to chop the springs for a lower ride height, but i personally never encourage this for safety/handling reasons. But that's totally up to you. As far as rims go, the cheapest (and i personally think the nicest) option would be to give the stock chaser rims a coat of satin black (for the i mean business look). Otherwise do them in silver/grey (for the half decent look).
If you shop around, i cant see this costing you more than maybe $70-$90 all up depending on quality of paints and cut & polish and wax products. You could probably do a hell no frills budget job for around $50 but you'd definately be more proud of the quality job. Try to "borrow" paint off your mates to make it even cheaper.
Next, go to your local hoon hot-spot on Sat. night and drop a big ass skid with good smoke. That should make it look pretty nice...
Good Luck,
Jasyn...
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Armourall NOOOOOoooooooooo!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Jasyn, Jaysn, Jaysn.....
The worst thing you can do for the inside of your windscreen is to put Armourall on your dash! Armourall is silicone based and when heated by the sun leaves silicone vapours all over the screen. A bitch to clean off!!
Try Selleys Solar Warrior for your vinyl, it's water based.

Maybe look for a $100 wreck that has mags and a sports wheel. Would also give you some spares that would cost an arm and a leg to get from the wreckers.
Just a thought,

Yonnee.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Armourall NOOOOOoooooooooo!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Well there's my new thing that you're suposed to learn every day... I've been dumping the stuff throughout the interior of my TX on a fortnightly basis. I kinda found out the hard way that it doesn't agree with the perspex/plastic window of the dash. Luckily i didn't leave it on for long enough to do too much damage - just a small area that's now a little cloudy from it. i used windex to get it off the windscreen, though.
I'll have to grab a bottle of that Solar Warrior stuff, is it basically the same price as armourall ? And where should i use the armourall it if its silicon based - besides the bin... I'd imagine the tyres would maybe be o.k, but i use tyre shine for that. Thanks for the tip.
Jasyn...
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Even better Reply with quote

Dad went back home to Italy last year and while he was there picked up these awesome things.

They are basically baby wipes impregnated with a water based rejuvinator. They are call Wizzy's and are made by this company called arexons. They are great for doing rubbers, trim, tyres, hoses u name it!

The best part is u don't waste any by overspray, u don't get silicone all over ur paint and u don't get it all over ur cloth trim etc etc.

For tyres though i just use that kitten shit. Spray on Canola oil basically! I know it's not good for the paint come time to respray but i can assure u, painting that thing once was enough so the next guy can deal with it!

Just my 2 cents!

(one guy dad knows buffs armoral into the paint with a buff! I would hate to take a spray gun to that car!!!!)
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: GET A JOB??? Reply with quote

just a thought man, deliver pizzas (or cook some burgers) every night 4 1 week and you budget would be quadrupled, just a thought.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: i nead a few cheap tips??????????? Reply with quote

save ya $$$$$ and cut ya springs to a rediculusly low hight (ie. buumps stops)
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: i nead a few cheap tips??????????? Reply with quote

I was waiting for it... Gene you should know better Wink
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: i nead a few cheap tips??????????? Reply with quote

yeh cutting your springs is all fun and games till someone looses an eye!!! just remember that mate. : )
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: gene gene gene Reply with quote

youll never change will you...
and BTW Im still waiting for the photos of your air brushing
to your bonnet
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: AIRBRUSH Reply with quote

http://communities.ninemsn.com.au/GeminiFever

the photos have been on my site for fuckin agers
have a look man. oh u can buy it if ya want!!! hehe
have a look anyways
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: AIRBRUSH Reply with quote

Come up killa hey..... why you selling it for???
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: i nead a few cheap tips??????????? Reply with quote

You'll only lose an eye if you don't wear goggles using the grinder!!!! lol Surprised)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: