HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

TE DIFF IN TD COUPE???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: TE DIFF IN TD COUPE??? Reply with quote

Easy question of the night - Will a diff from a TE go straight in a TD Coupe?
mana
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: TE DIFF IN TD COUPE??? Reply with quote

yep!
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TE DIFF IN TD COUPE??? Reply with quote

Does the TD have mounts on the body for the rear sway bar?
My guess is that it does because it is the Holden body rather than the Opel body TX.
And also because the TD has RTS?
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: TE DIFF IN TD COUPE??? Reply with quote

Opel body TX ????????
The ONLY opel Gemini's are the wagon/vans .... Michael
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: TE DIFF IN TD COUPE??? Reply with quote

I read recently on this site, and it makes some sense, that the TX body was heavily based on the original Opel body. If you have owned an early TX you will know what I mean, as the differences between it and even the TD are enough to cause minor migraines.

Many moons ago I spoke to a Melbourne Holden wrecker who alerted me to the origins of the TX (the early import, as he put it) and it was he who gave me the first clues regarding installing a 5spd.

I don't care if it was from Isuzu or Opel or whatever, the TX I was based on an overseas model. Wasn't the original story that our Gemini was designed in Germany, used Japanese engines and was built in Australia, hence the Opel based body??

Hmmmmm
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TE DIFF IN TD COUPE??? Reply with quote

Makes sense too, some of the first TX's have different radiator mounts, no front sway bars or mounts for them, and arse-about reverse gearboxes which apparently can't be changed for 5 speeds, among other things.

The diff should go in because all of the suspension bush, brake and driveline parts listings are the same for all models.

Yonnee.
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: TE DIFF IN TD COUPE??? Reply with quote

Among the differences I have seen:
Different radiator mount (as you mention)
Slightly different nose cone setup
Arse-about reverse
Floor mounts too far forward, requiring mods to fit 5spd
No rear sway bar mounts on body
No RTS
Totally different shape floor pan
Different seat mounts which stupidly mount through the floor
Steel tube torque tube and smaller (fewer bolts) diff
Different engine mounts
The obvious cosmetic

The later model diff goes in a breeze, just can't fit the rear sway bar without floor pan mods. 5spd will go in with floor mods (must finish the workshop article...) Mine didn't have a front sway bar but I managed to fit one straight up.

Hope some of this is interesting Smile
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: TE DIFF IN TD COUPE??? Reply with quote

Ok you lot back up a few gears.. the bodies on ALL the geminis here in OZ are Isuzu based. All execpt the Vans and the Wagons. Hence the differances like the wagons have window winders with cables like a commodore and the inclind rear shocks. you will find also that the 4 doors and coupes have Isuzu symbols on the rubbers like bump stops, bonnet rubbers etc. Yes the original design was done buy Opel but the bodies we have are NOT the same that have been changed. As for the raditator supports etc thats nothing more then manufacturing changes over the years. Anyone who tells you other wise has been sniffing to much petrol ... Michael
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: TE DIFF IN TD COUPE??? Reply with quote

strange... i was under the impression that there was a import TX and a locally produced TX

main differences being floor pan and suspension mountings
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Momofan, so much for easy question! Reply with quote

And you thought you'd get a simple answer! lol

Yonnee.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TE DIFF IN TD COUPE??? Reply with quote

According to my bible, "50 years of Holden", Slug is right in that the book mentions that the Gemini was "Holdens first world car."
"The T-car, was designed by General Motors to be produced by various divisions of it's organisation, in different countries, under different badges." "Each country tailored the car to its own requirements, using various engines, transmissions, trim, etc. The huge cost of the original planning and development was thus shared between a number of different GM divisions. Australia's T-car, was a version of the Isuzu Gemini from Japan. Although it used an OHC motor and manual transmission from that country, the Gemini was produced at GM-H's Brisbane plant with a high degree of local content."
"Early cars used the MSE-type four speed transmission with reverse gear positioned to the left." "November 1975 saw the introdution of the MSG-type four-speed gearbox with reverse to the right."
Makes me wonder though, why GM-H Australia would go to the expense of changing floor pan stampings so early into the life of a new car. Two possible scenarios; one is that Japanese cars changed too, the other is that Australia was waiting on the M20 gearbox, and until then, used the Jap box and floor pan. When it was ready (Nov.'75), the local floor pan and gearbox was used, hence the differences. Other changes to such things as the radiator, were probably done at the same time to save money. I would think four bolts would be cheaper than two rubber bushes.
Thoughts???

R.T.S. was a handling change that GM-H did accross the board in the late 70's. You'll notice that at the same time the HZ Holden, TD Gemini, and LX Toranas all got RTS added to their range, and Commodores had it from the start.

Yonnee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: