HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

lynx manifold
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: lynx manifold Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to connect up the heater running a lynx sidedraught manifold? How'd you do it?

Cheers
Michael
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: lynx manifold Reply with quote

It's easy as. Instead of connecting the hose that comes straight out of the head to the bottom of the manifold you need about a 10cm piece of copper tube. Make sure it's a tight fit in the heater hose and use clamps to clamp them together. You basically by-pass the inlet manifold and go straight to the heated from the front of the head. From memory - the return pipe still goes in the lynx manifold around the same place that the old did. Hope that helps Smile
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: lynx manifold Reply with quote

How happy were u with the Lynx manifold ? I didn't know there were aftermarket manifolds for the Gemini, so i'd like to know how they compare to the original.
Jasyn.
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: lynx manifold Reply with quote

I was happy with the manifold, not so happy running twin delorto's - don't get me wrong they were good carbies but for my application a 32/36 dgv webber is far better. The webber is a bit less responsive and a bit less economical but hey - I've had it tuned and that's it!! I wont have to go back in a couple of months to run it on the dyno.
BTW. They've actually stopped making the Lynx manifolds now so if you've got a goodn' which I had! you should hang onto it.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: lynx manifold Reply with quote

That makes sense. Thanks!
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: lynx manifold Reply with quote

Hey Jasyn, I know I sound like a walking add for Redline, but they also do an aftermarket manifold for twin downdraughts on the Gem head. FYI

Yonnee.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: lynx manifold Reply with quote

Indeed you do!! But not as much as a walking Autobarn advertisement : ) What's the retail on one of those bad boy's ? (Just got a Fast & The Furious De-Ja-Vu). Would i actually need to go to the extreme of twins though? Goal for the G200 engine is only a mild 2000rpm-6000rpm Crow Cam, match porting inlet and exhaust ports, mild clean up and port on the head, extractors and 2 1/4 inch exhaust with hi-flow muffler, heavy duty timing chain etc. So would, say twin 40 mil webbers be a little overkill ? I'd think so. Although i'm getting fuel starvation problems after 20mins of traffic light drags, after reading previous posts it seems like a simple fix. Are there any single carb aftermarket manifolds availiable ? Thanks for the info, you're a great help.
BTW, I tried the Eagle One tyre shine you suggested. It really is good stuff.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: autObarn, autObarn, autObarn.... Reply with quote

Hey, I like my job!!! lol
If anyone's down Cranbourne way, come in and say "G'day".
The twins are a bit like the Holley and the snail thing. Besides you have to cut a hole in the bonnet if you want to run an air cleaner/s. autObarn.
The 32/36 was originally on a 2 litre so it should be fine for even a worked G200. It's the simplest carby conversion with 'off the shelf' items available. autObarn.
Just a suggestion for your fuel problem, the original pump was only ever designed with a stock 1600 in mind. Maybe an aftermarket fuel pump would suit the bigger motor. autObarn.

Good tyre shine Huh!! The more you use it, the longer it lasts between applications.

Yonnee.
Spare parts manager, autObarn Cranbourne. Surprised) lol
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: autObarn, autObarn, autObarn.... Reply with quote

"Besides you have to cut a hole in the bonnet if you want to run an air cleaner/s"

What? for twin Idf's? Its really not that hard to find air cleaners that fit.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: fuel pump Reply with quote

I've been told twice now, by people I trust (one owns a carby shop) that Before you go to the expense of buying a new fuel pump that you get 12v going to te original one, which apparently only runs about 8v from the factory. Should solve most 'street' applications. Save your money...
cheers
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump, my 2c Reply with quote

Sounds fair enough. Just a thought though, How long is it going to last running at 150%? There's got to be a reason that Holden only ran 8-9 volts from the alternator to run the pump originally.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: autObarn, autObarn, autObarn.... Reply with quote

I stand corrected. Just flicked through an old Gemini magazine and found a few running twin downdraughts with filters short enough to fit.
I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong. Thanks Fastgem.

Yonnee.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump, my 2c Reply with quote

That was my initial thought as well after reading past threads on the fuel pump. I figured that i'm gonna fit a surge tank/swirl pot due to my over enthusiastic driving style, so i've decided to retain the original pump to prime/feed the surge tank but haven't got a clue on where to start for the second pump. Any ideas would be good, eg. would a Holley blue be over-kill ? Or is there a pump from another vehicle that would be sufficient ??
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump, my 2c Reply with quote

Yeah J, there's a solid state electric pump, Facet is one brand it's sold under. There's three sizes available; one for fours, one for sixes and small eights, and one for big eights that flows up to 8 psi. For a worked four, I'd probably go the middle one, they cost the same regardless (around $100), and it gives you scope for coping with a "wild" motor.

Yonnee.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Holley Blue - $140 Reply with quote

I know a gent who I was supposed to be buying a pump off (but we found another pump) he has a holley blue with regulator for $140. He is on the gold coast too, I can help with wiring, piss easy to do it nicely. I just finished wiring an external pump into a friends TC panelvan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: