HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Lil Advice for rookie..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twisted_torque
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Lil Advice for rookie.. Reply with quote

Hi,
I recently offered a guy up the road $50 for a TD he had sitting down the back.. after a little while I got it for $70 had good 5 spd and the standard mags but screwed engine (timing chain broke while they were giving it and had a cracked piston). Another local sold me a little TX with 2L he had been running on lpg, came with LSD, extractors, 2 1/4 exhaust, lukey muffler & hotdog, sport steering wheel, 5spd, lowered springs & shocks, new interior, full window tint and centreline flat dish mags with s6x Yokohamas all with good tread... (very nice look!)etc. for $700 which I have been told is pretty damn good price. I have been swapping everything over to TD shell but am learning as I go. I have pickep up a mild cam and have both 2L and 1.6 heads.
I wanna know what is cheapest way to get my lil gem accelerating faster. The only thing I am still looking for at moment is a carbie (Weber 32/36 or 3Cool.
Is supercharging cheaper than turbo and if so what's the cost if anyone knows...??
FJ2047
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Lil Advice for rookie.. Reply with quote

For supercharging or turbo you need to drop the compression ratio of the engine. I am not sure what a gemi engine comp. ratio is but most turbo engines run safer from about 7.8:1 to under 9:1. the lower the better, and more boost can be run safely. You can pick up smaller turbos and s/chargers from $250 - $600. Sucking through the carbie is the best way, as that is how they normally work. with a carbie you cant run an intercooler. Alternatively, Piazza, CA18, FJ20, 4AGZ
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lil Advice for rookie.. Reply with quote

or you could shave and flow the 1600 head, do the timing chain and put in a mild cam, and fit twin dello'toro's or twin webers....depends on what you want....why take the ggod stuff outta the tx anyway..they look better!!!
Twisted_torque
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Lil Advice for rookie.. Reply with quote

Unfortunately the tx body was a bit screwed .. or else I woulda stuck with it and saved the hassle...
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Lil Advice for rookie.. Reply with quote

bugger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: