HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

I WANA RUN 14's with 1.6 non-turb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:10 am    Post subject: I WANA RUN 14's with 1.6 non-turb Reply with quote

Hi guys I wanna turbo my Gem but I look at it and its just not reiable I want some thing where I wont have a problem and wont have to rebuilt ever now and a again.
so I thought why not use the 1.6 Isuzu engine in it and try work it up
now so far I have a 1.6 webber carbi, and extractors with a cam?
The car has never been run the motor is just sitting there cos the car is getting sprayed.

My aim was to run a 12 with a turbo motor, but even insurnace is a fucken ball braker for turbo.
I wanna built up the 1.6 and run 14 secs or better with stock diff thats been rebuilt and 5spd thats also been rebuilt?
any1 got any reallg good Ideas and like every1 for the little of cost?
pLZ I need advice I want this Gem to move not just look sex
email me at GTVBOY@hotmail.com
or msn
or ICQ 49615519
or phone me on optus
thanks guys!
plz help
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: I WANA RUN 14's with 1.6 non-turb Reply with quote

a reliable 14 n/a 1600. never happen.
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I WANA RUN 14's with 1.6 non-turb Reply with quote

Sure it would, for about $5k unless you want to bottle feed it
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I WANA RUN 14's with 1.6 non-turb Reply with quote

hmm in the old furom ther is a post called 200 hp it covers wat you would need to do it
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I WANA RUN 14's with 1.6 non-turb Reply with quote

There are only four reasons why turbo motors(actually, any motors) wouldn't be reliable.

1)Poor tuning.
2)Parts that aren't up to the job.
3)A poor build-up - ie clearances, torque settings, etc.
4)Abuse

There is no reason why a turbo motor won't be reliable.
You want a NA 13 or 14 second motor? Hey, thats definately possible. It will wear out quicker than a turbo motor though, because of the necessary high RPM, while the turbo motor won't need high RPM. Of course that's not to say you can't have a high-revving turbo motor Surprised)
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I WANA RUN 14's with 1.6 non-turb Reply with quote

Depending on whether you can assemble the engine yourself, it will cost a fair bit. You need high compression, at least 10:1 I would say, which means a shaved (to the valve seats probably) early model head and flat tops, unless you want to get custom pistons made, if so, there goes your budget.

This also means you will need to machine valve reliefs into the tops of the pistons, whihc will vary depending upon camshaft specs. Speaking of cams, you will need a big one, what do you have. I would have though anything with less than 290 degrees duration would not be up to the task hp wise.

The head will have to have a good port job, hopefully the standard 'big' valves will be enough.

And speaking of pistons, 1800 1.5mm overbore units (86.5mm??) should be used. They cost the same as any other size piston, so it would definitely be worth using them unless you still want 1600cc capacity.

carbs should be twins for best flow, and exhaust should be about 2.25" from your extractors, with a straighthrough and hotdog if needed.

I dont think a single spinner diff will give enough traction either, so a locker or LSD would have to go in, slicks should be on the list aswell.

I reckon that motor would do it, all up, probably cost $2000 in parts, not counting diff or slicks.

With $2000, you could do at least 13's with a turbo and standard engine though.

Ben Wight
Twisted_torque
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: I WANA RUN 14's with 1.6 non-turb Reply with quote

I couldn't find the post can u tell me a bit more about it????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: