HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Electrics On Gem playing up!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xplosv Senator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Electrics On Gem playing up! Reply with quote

hi everyone love the site

I need help baddddd my gemini is playing up, it all started with this stupid little amp. The previous owner of the car had wired up an amp like this - The Power and Remote cable connected together to the radio fuse in the fusebox (near the drivers feet) with a piece of wire. The ground was connected to the piece of metal near the fuse box.

The problem was when i went over bumps the head Units volume would mute, i'd have to press the volume button to get it goin again. I got realy annoyed with this so i decided to rewire the whole thing.

So i went to JB HiFi and bought some power cable and speaker wire. I ran the power cable straight to the + terminal of the battery from the amp, then connected the remote cable to the ACC wire of the deck and lastly the ground to a piece of metal. I also replaced all the speaker wire, I am positve i did not remove any other wires apart from the speaker wire and the bodgy wiring from the fuse box.

I AM TERRIABLE SORRY ABOUT THIS LONG POST BUT I REALY NEED SOMEHELP FAST, ALL MY OTHER SOURCES HAVE FAILED AND THIS IS MY LAST RESORT. IF I CANT FIX IT ILL HAVE TO TURN TO AN ELECTRICAN.ONCE AGAIN IM VERY SORRY PPL.

Now this is where the problems begin. My brake warning light cums on reguarly (i checked the brake fluids etc there fine), when i brake the temp gauge goes to high and sumtimes it stays on high by itself (i had a brand new radiator fitted 6months ago and there is water and coolent in it), when my indicators are on the temp gauge goes up and down, at night when i slowly release the clutch or press the brake my head lights dim infact all the lights in the dash and car dim.

So then i removed everything that i had done and removed the Head Unit as well but the problems still persist. These problems were never there when i first got the car (3 weeks ago).

If anyone can help id appreciate it (in fact i beg u) alot once again i am sorry for the long post and i hope i make sense.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
mana
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Electrics On Gem playing up! Reply with quote

first- replace both batery terminals
2-run new earth wire from battery to body
3-run new earth wire frim battery to engine
4-test positive wire to fuse box for shorts
5-check resistor behind dash 4 shorts
6-check loom under dash near pedals for damage
7-check loom threw firewall gromet for damage
8-call auto electrician
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: go see a electrician Reply with quote

mate I wouldnt risk it take it to a auto elec or your pride a joy might just go up in smoke

cheers
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: i sorta had same thing...mooch told me to... Reply with quote

My temp guage was hitting the top when i turned the lights on and when i had bass cranking in my car.
Anyways i asked for help and mooch told me to tkae some 3mm or more wire, Put it in to the -ve terminal of the battery and take one bolt of radiator...bare the paint and put the wire into a ring terminal thing around the bolt of the radiator. It gives it a better earth.
I dunno if i said it right but it worked for me.
Jones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: