HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

SR20DET Gemini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: SR20DET Gemini Reply with quote

SR20DET S13 158kW.

Has anyone done one of these conversions? I have found a front-cut with one of these for $3K - and after reading eggy's post on the $$ spent to build his turbo, I'm thinking this may be a far cheaper option - even with additional conversion expenses? Which of course would be........(I have no idea - but would really like to know)...

Any help or advice on better options would be appreciated - I've got about $5K to spend on motor and $3K for paint...

Cheers
Dave
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: SR20DET Gemini Reply with quote

I was originally going to fit a FJ20 to my gemini and the SR20 is a nicer, quicker and lighter version of that and there quite a easy conversion so I cant see you having to much trouble..

cheers

http://www.geocities.com/pro350gemini
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: SR20DET Gemini Reply with quote

Well done, some body asking about a conversion with a decent budget, yeah the figures I posted were a bit high but I was trying to make the point that you cannot do it for $2K, sound's like a great plan thou, is there any turbo conversion shops in Camberra, if so I would start with them for some quotes, $2K for fitment you should be able to get away with that,

Good luck,

Cheers
Eggy
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: SR20DET Gemini Reply with quote

well yes i have just got hold of a td coupe and am JUST starting. u need brake up grade $500-$700. fuel lines, pump, inter cooler, ball bearing turbo, exhorst, plubingbalh blah blah!!!! my budget is $5000 engin and running gear. my bro is a mechanic so im getting heaps of shit CHEEEEEP. but if u are serious about it we can give eachother advise as we go if ya want???? i will be throwing together a pair of test engin mouns in a few months i will keep ya posted on them. it wil be about a year till its on the road so..... yeah
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: SR20DET Gemini Reply with quote

do u have a sr20 in ya gem????????? hints on engin mounts a sump at alll?????????
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: SR20DET Gemini Reply with quote

Yeah - just two weeks ago I got a lead to a guy that is TURBO FUCKING CRAZY - he has twin-turbo'd his 350 chev SLR Torana - it's canary yellow and pushes out a whopping 570hp - it's coming out in a mag sometime soon - not sure which one b'cause he talks really fast and I missed which one he said it was in - but for those that really need to know I can find out. He has also turbo'd two motor bikes that he had lying around his shed - Business name = JAKE's Performance - he is fucking crazy! - but reckons he can whack a turbo on my G161 and get about 110kW for approx $1,500 supplied and fitted (mates rates through a couple of other guys I know that are getting work done by him).

I reckon I would be better off spending a bit more, getting a front cut and doing it that way B4 paint - don't you?

Besides big brakes, engine mounts and fuel pump, what other mods would be needed?? remember I'll be getting a front-cut so I'll get box, electrics, ecu etc. with the deal.
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: SR20DET Gemini Reply with quote

Gene - for sure - work together and swap notes - you started hitting on the shit I need to know, or at least start asking about in your previous post. Things like mounts, sump?! which I didn't even consider and anything else. How much did pay for your SR20DET and did you buy a front-cut? My brother-in-law is also a mechanic but I think this dude from Jake's Performance will be getting my work Smile he sounded like he really knew his shit - and well hey he did have that fucking monster torana sitting in his shed!!
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: SR20DET Gemini Reply with quote

i havent bought it yet. just resurching. i have to strip my gem down to a shell b4 i start so it will be a couple of months. when were u wanting to start?? cos my dad is gonna import 3 front cuts from jap land. one for my coupe one for my brothers wagon and one for parts and what ever. so i wont actually start the engin side for about 5-6 months. sorry.... but when were gonna start??
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: SR20DET Gemini Reply with quote

well I'm not in any hurry but my little 1600 is gunna blow-up any day I reckon. I flog all hell out of it & I've done nothing about my cam timing/knocking noise cause I'm just damn lazy. But I am having that looked at next week cause I would like a bit more time to make this decision. I really want to put a 253 in mine but after reading other posts and asking some careful questions I can see how the SR20DET would be a better option - wont ever get that V8 sound though - dowpe!!
Plus I'm still waiting on insurance money for my GSXR600 that was written off by a stupid slut on a round-a-bout. Anyway - I read your doing a TD Coupe yeah?? What's your email - I'll show you the inside of mine - and what's been done to my guards....interior is excellent, body is ruff!
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: SR20DET Gemini Reply with quote

I take it your talking about his torana that won unlimited class and came second in the HP heros at the nats. That thing is unreal. It made 750 HP at the rear at the nats!! Pretty tough.

Aside from that for some advice talk to EVO motorsport in fyshwick. They did that conversion to a Candy apple green TE gem (green tints) a few months ago. So they know what to do. However Ive been told that they arent the nicest blokes to deal with as they dont like to pass on info unless money is doing the asking. But still worth a try. If you want info on brakes Im having mine done in 2 weeks and would be happy to share info with you when done. I dont know where in Canberra does them though. Evo probably did the green gemi's brakes.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: SR20DET Gemini Reply with quote

my e-mail is Dr_Boom13@hotmail.com
i will send ya the pics of the td coupe it arived not long ago heheheh very little rust!!! take a while to finish. i just blew my 5 speed in the TG today so im gonna use the one outta the coupe!! heheh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: SR20DET Gemini Reply with quote

Damn PC's - my photo's were on the hard drive of my old PC which was refreshed when I was holidays over x-mas...so I go to borrow the digital camera to take some more and our IT support can't get the camera working with the new version of windows = no photo's from me, but hey Gene, send yours to me oakys@ozemail.com.au and I'll work something else out from my end. I have been thinking about buying a straighter shell than the one I have and going full rebuild. That way I can take my time.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: SR20DET Gemini Reply with quote

it is WAY!!! beter to be able to take your time!! less stress and more enjoyable and u will know when its finished that its been done right!@
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: